Beginner's Guide - First week as Gaul

• I have problems do defeat the robber hideouts! I lose so many troupes only to clean them. I make barely profit with them today i lost 2000 resources and gained about 3500.

I also don't know how much i should focus on troupes or buildings... While troupes are doing nothing buildings produce smth, but i also don't want to leave my settlement defenseless!

I also didn't make it to the second village so fast, I have way to less ressource income. While 1 settler costs 10k ressources which makes 3*10k = 30k ressources. I have only an income of 1270 ressourses/h with all lvl 7 fields. that makes 24 hours only to get all the resources for the settlers.

• @enjoymrban#EN

For robbers there isn't any set number. So long as you are making a profit you should be ok (make sure to count the resource you get from the stolen goods as well), swordsmen are pretty efficient at clearing hideouts so you should just build them until you are comfortable with the number of losses, adding a hero to the raiding party will also help but don't use the phalanx to attack the robbers. I was using less than 50 swords and my hero to clear out the hideouts in this guide (I trained up the swords first and then made some phalanx before exiting beginners protection) but you will of course want increasingly more as time passes.

It will be tough times with robbers untill you build your force up to 1000 swords, after that you can add a ram and use the siege mode which makes your clearing much more effective.

>Troops vs buildings
    While the units have no immediate return to them, you can use them to clear out the robbers and the faster and with fewer losses you do it then more profit you get. Additionally while a field will indeed increase your income it will also be a significant investment upfront and takes few days to pay itself back. If you aren't certain on what's best for you, try to keep things in balance, build some units every day (especially scouts) and invest the other resources into your buildings and fields. It also depends on your situation in the game, if you feel your kingdom is strong then making bit less defense and more buildings should be ok and if your kingdom doesn't look too good getting some units out should be bigger priority.

As a gaul you don't have to worry too much about your defense as most people will be highly discouraged from attacking you because of the trapper and your cranny capacity is bigger if you do get raided. Units will of course still be needed but you aren't in such immediate danger as romans and teutons. Make sure to build enough scouts so you aren't easy pickings though.

>Second village timing.
    Settlers are indeed pretty expensive but there are lot of quests to help you out. Don't worry though, with adventures (which can give resources) and killing robbers the wait for the resources most likely won't be quite 24h and once you do get your 3rd settler built you get a quest reward that is about the price of the last settler + another reward for actually settling a new village. The new village itself will help a lot as well so building the settlers is definitely worth it. You can also use the second village if you need to switch kingdoms should your current king be inactive for example.

On the topic of field payouts In this guide I recommended lvl 5 fields while you went up to lvl 7's which gives much better income but you also had to pay for the fields as well. It's not a bad strategy though you simply trade some time on the second village for better starter village. The cost of upgrading a woodcutter from lvl 5 to lvl 7 is about 8700 resources while the production increase is about 40 to 45 depending on your oasis. That means it takes 8 days for this field to pay off it's build cost (though this improves as you unlock the sawmill building and improve your oasis bonuses and the quest rewards could also be subtracted out making for about 5 day payoff time).

• Thank you for your prompt response!

I do have another question tho, i've now settled me second village now i'm questioning what i should do. I know that i will be defense already. However; now that i have the settlement i don't know should i stop working on my first village and boost my second with all the resources the first one produces (apart from troupe production) or should i keep building up my first one, which then consumes most of the resources?

• There is no correct answer which suits anyone and all circumstances - it really depends.

Generally it's good to build up your production base as quickly as possible. Yet you need to secure your production base as well - no point in building up anything which then is taken or destroyed by the enemy short time later.

• Work through the quests as much as possible, you are probably nearer getting these rewards in your 1st village.

I would start to build up Main Building in your 2nd (and storage capacity for that) but keep developing your fields in your 1st as much as possible :)

• Regarding cities I recommend this kind of a build:
    start -> settle 2nd village -> settle 3rd village -> upgrade your capital (which can be your starter or your 2nd village if you choose a cropper for example) to a city -> settle more villages until the game ends

Ideally you don't need more cities than your capital as 2 normal villages are superior than 1 city that being said you might want more cities than just that if the conditions are right.

You should always city:
    Capital
    Croppers (9c or 15c) tiles
    Villages you use to build offense
    Treasury villages

Additionally you can city:
    Villages you think might be chiefed (chiefing a city takes 2 slots and cities have 200 loyalty making them lot harder to chief)
    Villages that you need extra defense in (waterditch)

You also might want to city:
    If your kingdom has no more free tiles to build more villages in
    If you have a particularly good tile (3/4/5/6 with 75% iron for romans for example) and there are no similar tiles while you still need more of that one resource (only necessary for people who don't use gold, gold users can just use the NPC)

In a normal game I usually end up with 2-3 cities (my capital and one or two additional cities I use to block enemy chiefs or for some other reason like having another cropper village) and as many villages as I can build

• Honestly I do not play speed so I can't promise anything regarding speed.
    That being said most of the build should work for speed servers as well

The post was edited 1 time, last by Curtain ().

• I am not sure about the City thing. Yes, 500 CP are nice boost in the early stage, but CP cost later grow very strongly, so they can be neglected pretty soon. A village gives you some 300-500 CP plus again that much and more if you have enough ress for festivals. Also, two times lvl 1-10 fields are less expansive and more productive than one time 1-12.

• there are some occasions when it's better to have a city though, even if they do cost more.

any important village can benefit from having the 30% extra defense bonus when the water ditch is applied (so any place that is going to get a lot of incomings should be a city)

also having the right oases can give good boost to production on L12 fields
    (e.g. a 3456 village with 2 x 25% iron Oases will give you around 2k more iron p/h)

• Yes very nice guide. One thing I would like some more in-depth on (that no other guide seems to provide) , is the actual process after settling second village.

Say for example I'm in a good kingdom/starting position. I am strategically placed for defending treasure cities. So first village is 4/4/4/6 (following this guide, although I skipped building traps, really wasn't being considered as a target early game). Ready to settle and decide on a second 4/4/4/6 for the defensive positioning (and close by 25/25% | 50% oasis.. )

This is where I get a little flustered and seem to lose or forget most of my strategy...

-Do you just slowly build second village over-time (accepting that it will take a little while, always spending resources so attacks no problem) and continue to increase resource/phalx infrastructure in starting village..?

-Or do I build up my Market Place and neglect first vill for a few days while boosting 2nd village. (always ends up splitting resources too much between the two)

-Would you build MB 3 , WH+Grannary and take the new village quest rewards in second village? how useful are resource fields to 3 - 5 - 7 etc if there are no quest rewards at the end ? :) few questions and would love your thoughts on everything.

Nice chill, basic guide. Way nicer than these crazy other rush 2nd village/delete residence/ blah blah blah strats

• CHEF KOCH#EN

Here are some answers to your questions:

>Do you just slowly build second village over-time

With the 2nd village (unless you build it on a cropper and intend to make it your new capital) you usually develop it fairly slowly keeping the focus on the main village, especially if you as you say are in a good spot with the main village and the second village is nearby. My rule of thumb would be to keep the fields 2-3 levels below the main village on this second village (so if you are just about making lvl 7's in your main, level the side village to lvl 4's). Low level fields pay off faster than high level ones under normal circumstances but the start quests (up to lvl 10's) make developing the main village much better than the secondary.

Add basic infrastructure like warehouse, granary and embassy lvl 1 and then keep the fields coming few levels below what the cap is doing for the second one, don't make troops or other buildings there until you need them.

>Or do I build up my Market Place and neglect first vill for a few days while boosting 2nd village.

This is what you do after your second village (so 3rd and onwards). Like I said just above low level fields pay up faster than high level fields which means when you settle say your 4th village, you want to insensly develop it at the cost of other villages for at least few days. Get warehouse and granary up a few levels, then get good amount of mainbuilding levels (the exact amount depends on how much resources you have and how active you might be but lvl 10 is good comprimise) and then start chain building fields till they are high (like one of each to 10 and rest around 8) at which point the village tends to be able to support itself reasonably well. You can keep the boost going till every field is lvl 10 and doing so is more recommended the more villages with lvl 10 fields you already have. The faster you can hit all lvl 10 fields the better it is, this again assuming you have a capital with lvl 12+ fields and few other villages with lvl 10 fields to support this growth.

If you pick up a 9c or 15c cropper to be your new capital with your 3rd or 4th or even later village then boosting it is especially important and you want to dedicate few villages to that job for a long time.

>Would you build MB 3 , WH+Grannary and take the new village quest rewards in second village?

Keep cashing in the quest rewards in your main village. You should only cash in the rewards on the second village if you plan to make it your capital in short order.

>how useful are resource fields to 3 - 5 - 7 etc if there are no quest rewards at the end ?

You should be looking it the other way around, high level fields are less useful except when there is a quest reward waiting. This is why you want to prioritize the main village at the start but once you have few villages under your belt prioritize fields in any new village you make over the higher level capital fields.

• CHEF KOCH#EN

Very helpful. Thank you.
    After second village I went with 250 troops + 7 croplands > 7 all fields

Couple more questions (Utilizing you while I have you! )

-If lower level fields are better pay off, after all to 7 - Do you want to rush one of each to 10 for quests or equally level to 8 > 9 > 10 (considering all to 10 is next anyway) or is one of each to 10 > building %increase buildings better

Odd couple:

-Do boots of chicken have a cool down or will enemy hero always flee with troops if I attack each time they return?

-How do you manage Hero health/revive - second revive is a decent 5/6 hour set back on the path to level 10 fields and quests. Do you still fully utilize hero 24/7 wit all adventures > raiding for XP or do you slow it down to keep his health sufficient as long as possible? (obviously calc each raid for best hero/troop losses)

• CHEF KOCH#EN

>If lower level fields are better pay off, after all to 7 - Do you want to rush one of each to 10 for quests or equally level to 8 > 9 > 10 (considering all to 10 is next anyway) or is one of each to 10 > building %increase buildings better

When you have yet to do the quests it's best to rush to the 10 straight from 7 on one of each as the quest rewards are significant on both the lvl 10 building and the lvl 1 booster building.

Once you have used up the quests a good build order would be all lvl 8 -> one lvl 10 -> lvl 3 booster -> all lvl 10's -> lvl 5 booster

For Crops you want to level evenly up to lvl 9 followed by -> one lvl 10 -> lvl 5 mill + lvl 1 bakery -> all lvl 10's -> lvl 5 bakery

>Do boots of chicken have a cool down or will enemy hero always flee with troops if I attack each time they return?

There is a short cooldown in the sense that the hero is physically away from the village for a bit but as soon as it returns it can dodge instantly again so the cooldown is more for the defender to use the hero.

>How do you manage Hero health/revive - second revive is a decent 5/6 hour set back on the path to level 10 fields and quests. Do you still fully utilize hero 24/7 wit all adventures > raiding for XP or do you slow it down to keep his health sufficient as long as possible? (obviously calc each raid for best hero/troop losses)

Hero health management is probably the trickiest "it depends question" since there are so many factors to it. Do you use gold or not? Have you been lucky with your adventures or not? Have you had to use it the hero to defend yourself or kingdom or not?

Optimally if you pick up a weapon and some kind of chest piece + maybe few ointments from auction as a gold user you kinda don't have to worry about it (so long as you don't need to use the hero to defend or attack aonyone). Same goes if you get lucky and find that gear on adventures even if you don't use gold. If you are stuck without gold and without gear then heres more or less what you need to do:

1) pay attention to the auction house

Even as non gold user you still have some silver to play around and a weak weapon even for a different tribe is still worth as much as 1-2 hero levels in terms of hero strength and sometimes great weapons, armors and helmets slip trough the cracks for cheap so be on the lookout to add to your collection. European night time is usually the most quiet time on Com servers so that's the best time to hunt for deals but check it as often as you can, make small bids and if you get overbid just move to the next thing on the list.

Once you have a full set of gear the HP issue tends to go away

Chest piece is the most important gear for hero HP management, followed by weapon followed by any item that gives you strength (shields) or hp regen (regen helmet).

2) put points into hero strength and build troops for your robbers

Hero strength reduces the amount of damage you take from adventures (not from robbers) and higher troop count helps with hideouts. You can easily use the battle simulator by cliking on a hideout -> insert into simulator and see how much you would lose if you clear it with current forces. Sometimes it's ok to wait 12h and build more units for lower damage. As for hero strength you need enough to do adventures. Gear also helps to keep hero strength high. Hideouts become easy to clear once you can use the siege mode attack ( 1000 troops or more and at least one ram) though that is beyond the lvl 10 fields usually

I typically use 50/50 split on my points between resource production and strength when playing as non gold governor which I assume you are doing unless I have very good luck with the adventures or early auction house.

3) Only kill your hero in useful ways

Your hero should never die during an adventure. Check the reports and see how much HP the last one cost and always have at least that much (+ few points since adventures get tougher over time). Don't be afraid to bank few adventure points early since you get way more at the start which can overwhelm your heros HP regen easily.

If you need to let the hero die to reset the HP for more adventures "use" your heros deaths to either fight other players (defense or offense such as attacking enemy oasis) or throw it into the hideout solo first so it kills most of the things there making your troop losses lower. Sometimes it's ok to just wait too till an opportunity arises to use the hero in this manner, it fights at 100% of it's power even at 1% of the life.

The most important thing however is to always revive the hero as soon as it dies, never let the hero die (except in team defense) when you are in position where you can't instantly revive it. For instance if you are low on HP and want to kill and revive the hero to do more adventures (which should pay off as far as resources are concerned) that is fine but make sure you got enough of a bank to start the revival right away. You can see the price in the wiki if you are interested on specifics. That or you need to have a bucket in the inventory

Typically you shouldn't revive the hero too many times before lvl 10 fields as you need at least that much economy to keep the resource flow good when the hero is down so usually I just wait if the hero HP is low (after using the first cheap revive) and pay attention to the auction house to see if I can get good gear.

Theres more to it than that but before lvl 10's I would mostly try to avoid dying and be on the lookout for gear if not gold user, once you get lvl 10 fields you have much more economy to reliably revive the hero and the speed of adventures coming in has slowed down enough that you can start to make headway on your stored adventures without losing your hero HP. The early game is always when HP management is hardest so just hang on tight and it gets easier.

• Regardless of quests: All 7 -> 1x10 -> modifiers to 3 -> all 8 -> modifier 4 -> all 10 -> modifier 5.

Unless you have an oasis, then you move the modifiers 1 level later. Except again if there are quests, then always rush 1 to 10.

Hero utilization depends on strategy.

Always try to get dmg reduction armor.

Assuming you play gaul, cause we're in a gaul guide

If you go def then best to put on at least 50% resource generation and do quests whenever you have hp. Don't do hideouts, let them smash into your def first and then clear.

This will slow the rate by which you get robbers but you compensate by having hero produce resources.

If you go aggressive then just put hero on full power. Use hero with a bunch of swords to do the robbers with but focus on TT for quick raid hits against other players. With no upgrades swords are about as cost efficient as clubs. Don't waste valuable TT on robbers in the first week.

When attacking other players, go for aggressive teutons. You can figure out if they are aggressive by checking their attack score.

If you go off but not aggressive then focus only on swords, no TT in the first week. Swords have better attack per cost and better def per cost. Now normally you would dodge attacks but if you can't then losing swords in def is less bad than losing TT in def. Your hero can then be put at 25-50% resources.

Regardless of tribe, if I play gov and don't want to spend a ton on the auction I go 75% power, 25% resources for at least the first 4 levels. If I find good equipment (dmg reduction armor + weapon or shield or regen helmet) then I can go less power more resources but that almost never happens in the first week.

Oh and NEVER def oases with 25% or 0% def bonus, only go for the 100% and 50% def bonus oases.

TL;DR for hero story:
    Go 75% power 25% resources