Roman Def/Mixed guide

• Some things to remember as roman def.
    -Do not build Equites Imperatoris and Equites Caesaris
    -You can make only legionnaire/praetorians/scouts
    -it is never worth to make cavalry for def. You must only make roman scouts in your stable, nothing more.
    -24/7 queue of legio/prae in barracks and great barracks.
    -Settle on tiles 4-3-4-7 or 4-3-5-6 for legionaire village
    -Settle on tiles 3-4-5-6 tile for praetorian village
    -Settle on tiles 4-5-3-6 for scout village
    -Make a imperian/EI off army in your capital village for robbers and some raid, every other ones must be defense.
    -tournament square is a must build as roman troops are the slowest.

Goodluck

"You can do a hundreds of good deeds but everyone will remember the 1 mistake you will do."

• do not build any legionaires ... totally not worth building, to defend against cav you have teuton spears in your kingdom. Praetorians are the strongest inf-def, you should focus on them.

The most important thing is to build in as many villages as possible and spread your villages over your kingdom because your def-production lacks a bit in movement- and productionspeed compared to gauls/teutons.

• do not build any legionaires ... totally not worth building, to defend against cav you have teuton spears in your kingdom. Praetorians are the strongest inf-def, you should focus on them.

It is always in this ratio in def
    60% phalanx (2 out of 10 players prioritize haeduan over druids)
    30% Praetorian
    10% spearfighter (1 out of 10 players play full def teuton)

So if you suggest him to just spam praetorians then RIP to his kingdom's anti-cav def. So expect those phalanx and praetors to get cleaved up by caesaris or other heavy horse in a hammer siege attack.

Praetorian is the best anti-infantry def no doubt but It is never wise to only spam praetorians in this game wherein there are low number of teuton players that play def. Keep in mind 1 Imperian trains for 1:26 and 1 E.Caesaris can be trained max 1:36. Means the ratio is not too far apart so if roman hammer claps your def with only 60% phal 30% prae 10% spearf then those EC's will kill a lot of def.

"You can do a hundreds of good deeds but everyone will remember the 1 mistake you will do."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Archer ().

• i'm totally aware of the romans cav-heavy hammers, on the other hand against the usual club-spam teutons your praetorians would be a dream.

maybe i shouldn't assume a kingdom to have enough structure/planning to avoid such horrible ratios ...
    but i don't think it's the right way to plainly suggest him to build legionaires even if it's kind of a waste of the romans potential if you could provide enough cav def in an other way.

to com to some kind of reasonable compromise i would suggest to build some praetorians first and if you can asusme there is a lack of cav-def (mainly def oriented teutons) based on getter rankings or anything like that, you could plan to build a few legionaires.

but to be clear, praetorians provide exactly the same cav-def value as phalanx where the phalanx are providing decent inf-def as well. cav def values @lvl20

• Archer, wtf, great barracks for defense troops? Really? Instead of wasting your cp slot to found a city you can found another village and recruit troops in both of them - to the half costs resulting in the same troop amount. Producing def in great barracks is literally the most wasteful way to deal with your resources.
    Your thoughts on legionnaires are quite more comprehensible but also mislead. I don't know where your numbers come from, propably I don't even want to know that. But if you're lacking cav-def in your kingdom you should consider asking your gauls to focus on their phalanx instead of druids or haeduans and not asking your romans to build legionnaires.

You produce at least 6k per village and it needs 5,142 ressources per hour to fill a barracks level permanently with pretorians. Which means every village can be a pretorian-def-village which can fill itself easily. Conclusion: As roman def account culture points are very important as you're likely limited by the amount of barracks you can produce in, instead of the amount of resources you produce to fill up the barracks.

• @Be2-e4

Sorry dude I always play king, you must've not know how much resources a king that rule 1400 tiles kingdom has.
    Maybe governors doesn't need GB but my statement is from a king's pov.
    You can never go wrong with 15 roman villages and 5 of it are cities for treasuries, why not make GB in it.
    Plus don't tell me you won't even make 1 GB even in capital? O_O

• How arrogant of you to believe that you have superior knowledge. But you don't really think that a king's pov is the right one to refer to when guiding a new player, do you?
    Yes. If you founded cities by accident or by mistake it is, if your target is to maximize def production, advantageous to build in great barracks - well, as a king who can pay that at least. But since you can reach 1,000 population for increased influence radius quite cheaply (compared to your losses due to training in great barracks) without wasting your culture points I suggest not to found cities but found villages instead. 10 villages + 5 cities do produce the exact same amount of def per day as 20 villages. And use the exact same amount of culture point slots. But 20 villages have two great advantages.
    First, they produce WAY more culture points than the 10/5 combination. Let's say you replace all cities with two villages and get your treasury villages to 1k population. You will produce ~2.2k +- 100 culture points each day in every treasury village plus additional ~1.8-2k cp each day in the def village you got for not founding a city. I estimate your treasury cities do not produce 4k+ culture points a day, do they? I estimate they are around 2k per day, maybe a bit more, maybe even 2.5k a day, but even that would be way less. I don't need to explain that more culture points -> more villages -> more def production (and more resource production), do I?
    The second advantage is: You save ~9k resources each hour because you can train in two small barracks instead of a small and a big one (11k cheaper, but 2k more expensive because double party cost).

• Woah woah woah, hold your horses.
    I never mentioned "Make all your villages into cities and spam gb."
    My guide clearly stated 24/7 troop queue on barracks and gb
    Its a generalization of all your barracks and gb so if ever you dont have gb then it doesn't matter.
    I also never said in the first place in my guide to make gb nor to prioritize in making gb.
    So how did I become arrogant :D
    I always play king so its natural that it was my point of view, I would not suggest something that I have not experienced.
    Pretty sure most players of speed rounds already know I always play king but I won't be surprised if you don't know it.
    What I am saying is we must not share some guide on playing a certain style if we ourselves did not experience it.
    Thus I share in a pov of a king and not a governor. Its the writer's choice if he liked the king's pov of playing roman def or if he like the governor's pov.
    Also the topic is about sharing guide for roman def/mixed
    There is no justification that he wants guide for roman 'governor'.
    So he is asking for one's personal guide for reference in possibly any roles and he will possibly choose one in all suggestions.

Now I see your problem why you call me arrogant even though I am not.
    I think you have problem with making GB for def units.
    Dunno why this is a problem actually.
    Assuming you made it a city why not afford to make a GB in it so you mean to say only offense units are considered worth to make in GB even if you play def?

• you must've not know how much resources a king that rule 1400 tiles kingdom has.

This left a slightly arrogant impression of yourself. Sorry if I offended you.

Pretty sure most players of speed rounds already know I always play king but I won't be surprised if you don't know it.

I have honestly no clue who you are, I never played a com server.

Yes. You didn't say make everything into cities and spam gb. I didn't say you said that. I just did the maths for you to show you that you would have driven better if you didn't found cities using the numbers you gave me.
    The point about the guide is - he wouldn't ask if he was experienced. If you tell an unexperienced player to train 24/7 in barracks and great barracks it is - without any further explaination - easily misinterpreted as "build cities, build gb, train there". Well, honestly, also I thought it was your intention when I read your post.

There is no justification that he wants guide for roman 'governor'.

Well, he has not a single prestige star, therefore he doesn't have over 25 prestige, therefore he can't be king, therefore he's governor. But also ignoring that it's much more likely that a governor asks than a king.

I think you have problem with making GB for def units.

There is actually only one reason that would come to my mind why using great barracks/stable is useful. If you're planning to send your hammer straight to ww. In every other case building four hammers (= same cost as one in great buildings) has more advantages. So no, I don't have a problem with gb-def in particular, but with gb in general. However, why you shouldn't train def in gb is what I have calculated in my last post in detail - shortly summarized, even if the city is a treasury city you gain more advantages by having two villages (one of them built to have over 1k pop) compared to one city.

• Thanks all who gave their suggestions. Especially Archer.
    Now What Im planing is.
    1-Attacker (starter village) 4446
    2-Praetorian
    3-Legionaire
    4-Scout ( is a scouter really important for def account though)

Ratio Legion:Praet villages should be 1:3 (let me know if I need to increase Praet villages)

Thats all Im thinking now

• 1 - it would be better to move your offensive troops to your crop-capital (if you are useing one - and you really should)

4 - Scouts are a very importent ressource for your kingdom and since your stables as a def-roman are not needed in any other way, you should build some scouts but not prioritize them over praetorians

you should minimize your legionaire production as much as possible... in the best case build none at all, 1:3 sounds way too much from my point of view.

• Hi thanks, I really appreciate it. Note that my guide is from King's point of view so pls don't make them all into cities for as our friend @Be2-e4 explained the disadvantage of making cities than villages. I am not really fond of how governors build up their account so would be nice to follow his suggestions too. :)

Btw legio:praet 1:3 is good
    also if you happen to be in a decent kingdom, find a teuton def player and befriend him, exchange update with how many spearfigher he has and praets you have. This way you can know if you need to build a bit more legio or not. :)
    Goodluck

• Every account should have a village with max level scouts no matter if it's defense or offense.
    The difference between an offense and defense scout production is that offense players need a dedicated village just for this purpose while a defense player (especially roman) can build scouts in any defense oriented village of their choosing. This is because offense players often have to take their scouts and go out with them while defense players mostly station scouts to their or their friends villages or use small amounts to scout farms.

If you don't plan to take a cropper then the plan is fine except you definitely want to add scouts into your second village alongside Preatorians.

If you do take a cropper then I suggest training Legionares from the first village to kill Robbers until you get your second village going (which should be a cropper). Then your second village is where you will build your offense units to kill robbers and participate in smaller attacks and eventually turn it into a capital while the first village can either continue with Legionares and scouts or go to Preatorians and scouts depending a bit on what kind of playstyle you are looking for.

• You also stated that you might want to play a hybrid Roman account, therefore my suggestion would be to build a Legionnaire/Equites Caesaris army in your capital.
    It has a decent off value, because of the ECs great Attack and the Legionnaire is a hybrid unit anyway. Use it to clear robber camps/hideouts and you can also use both units as defense (even though they are not the best, they still do their job). Also, EC is twice as fast as a Praetorian so you might be in time with them to be the decisive factor.

But after that, I recommend you to only focus on Praetorians in your other villages (Add a stable for lvl 20 scouts in 1 of them)

• How arrogant of you to believe that you have superior knowledge. But you don't really think that a king's pov is the right one to refer to when guiding a new player, do you?
    Yes. If you founded cities by accident or by mistake it is, if your target is to maximize def production, advantageous to build in great barracks - well, as a king who can pay that at least. But since you can reach 1,000 population for increased influence radius quite cheaply (compared to your losses due to training in great barracks) without wasting your culture points I suggest not to found cities but found villages instead. 10 villages + 5 cities do produce the exact same amount of def per day as 20 villages. And use the exact same amount of culture point slots. But 20 villages have two great advantages.
    First, they produce WAY more culture points than the 10/5 combination. Let's say you replace all cities with two villages and get your treasury villages to 1k population. You will produce ~2.2k +- 100 culture points each day in every treasury village plus additional ~1.8-2k cp each day in the def village you got for not founding a city. I estimate your treasury cities do not produce 4k+ culture points a day, do they? I estimate they are around 2k per day, maybe a bit more, maybe even 2.5k a day, but even that would be way less. I don't need to explain that more culture points -> more villages -> more def production (and more resource production), do I?
    The second advantage is: You save ~9k resources each hour because you can train in two small barracks instead of a small and a big one (11k cheaper, but 2k more expensive because double party cost).

Agree with you since your first word.
    I'm only here to show some support against ignorance. ^^

• How good are Legionnaires for robbers compared to imperians?

Considering they are significantly cheaper defence per initial cost than Preatorians (one month before they are even on total cost per defence).

Instead of 6000 praeatorians and 1000 imp you could have 7000 legionnaires for similar crop consumption and defence but 4x attack.

Beyond several thousand legionnaires the extra attack is useless and should prioritise praetorian.

• I don't like Legionnaries as def unit. They're outclassed by both, phalanx and spearmen, in both defensive categories. Praetorians' strength comes from their defence versus infantery. Legionnaires have 35 (compared to 65) while having the edge in defence versus cavalry (50 compared to 35), but - like I said - being outclassed there.

You need 7,058 legionnaries to make up for 6,000 praetorians. But ... you don't really gain that much: https://i.gyazo.com/d70c5602d11614259fe0da6f7d2190a6.png (Legios vs. robber "def") / https://i.gyazo.com/4c5510e099c5d8aa552ef558acd9913c.png (Imperians vs. robber "def")

The difference is visible (33% less resource loss), but, it's only 30k, not really big of a deal. But those 30k resources are costly, because you sacrifice a lot of strength for it. Also, you're fucked, if your def is actually needed and decimated, because now you have nothing to clear robbers anymore.