For Defensive Players - is a 15C or 9C better?

• I'm not a defensive player, but surely it depends on whether you're a gold whale or not? A key point of a 15-cropper is that you only have to boost one resource, so if you have the gold to NPC regularly then it is very efficient. Otherwise there's little point in a 15-cropper for a defensive player.

• I'm not a defensive player, but surely it depends on whether you're a gold whale or not? A key point of a 15-cropper is that you only have to boost one resource, so if you have the gold to NPC regularly then it is very efficient. Otherwise there's little point in a 15-cropper for a defensive player.

Surely the primary reason for favoring a cropper is that the total output of the village can be very much higher than it is for a 6c or 7c. Not only is there a second 25% production boost building available but there is likely to be higher oasis bonus applicable to crop fields available. Even if you just look at non-capital city fields at level 12, assuming embassy at 10 with one 50% crop and a 25%/25% oasis, the difference in output between a 6c and a 15c when fully developed is over 3k/hr, obviously it can be much more in your capital if you develop the fields further, at level 14 (if you took all fields up to that level) the difference would be over 5,200/hr for example.
    Yes you do need to be able to take advantage of that additional output by making the occasional NPC trade but those extra resources will come in handy to a defensive player who wants to fully engage but doesn't have 20k of raiding troops knocking around the map.
    I guess this doesn't apply to a defensive minded king with substantial tribute income.

• 2 above players have good points. 15c's tend to be inherently better than 9c's or 6c's but especially if you don't use gold this can be hard to translate into real gains.

One thing I would like to add that it depends a situation. 6c can be very much enough crop (while offering faster development and more base troop production) if you expect yourself to be attacked a lot and hence have to regularly use your defense.
    On the other hand if your position is very safe cropper can allow you to increase your defense force way beyond what 6c would allow you to and then when it counts you can bring awesome force into the fray.

My rule of thumb tends to be to evaluate these statements:
    I am experienced player with my tribe and playstyle
    I am using enough gold to use the NPC function
    I am in very safe position thanks to my start location or premade team
    I am going heavily into offense

For every "yes" add 1 point, for every "probably" add half a point
    Take 9c if you have more than 1 point and 15c if you have more than 2 points

• Surely the primary reason for favoring a cropper is that the total output of the village can be very much higher than it is for a 6c or 7c. Not only is there a second 25% production boost building available but there is likely to be higher oasis bonus applicable to crop fields available. Even if you just look at non-capital city fields at level 12, assuming embassy at 10 with one 50% crop and a 25%/25% oasis, the difference in output between a 6c and a 15c when fully developed is over 3k/hr, obviously it can be much more in your capital if you develop the fields further, at level 14 (if you took all fields up to that level) the difference would be over 5,200/hr for example.Yes you do need to be able to take advantage of that additional output by making the occasional NPC trade but those extra resources will come in handy to a defensive player who wants to fully engage but doesn't have 20k of raiding troops knocking around the map.
    I guess this doesn't apply to a defensive minded king with substantial tribute income.

Yes you can boost it higher, but you can't build anything with crop. This is your second village and therefore you do not have piles of resources spare, especially if you are building troops (as you should be). Ergo why I say you need to be a gold user; later you will be able to just NPC occasionally, but at the start you need res to develop the fields, res to build storage and res to build the grainmill and bakery - and res to build the troops.

If you do decide to take a 15-cropper as a defensive player, then you probably want to destroy the first village and get as many quest rewards as possible in the cropper, which will reduce the NPC requirement.

Of course Curtain is right, if you're in a nice safe spot in a pre-made alliance you can take more expansive decisions.

• make 3 vil close each other then you can consider 4th vil for 15c or
    make 2 vil close each other then build 3rd for 9c(if you can found it)

for me, ill just pick 6crop or 7 crop that near 50% crop oasis. in com7 i got lucky i have 4 even 5 near 15c so it depends on your placement when the game starts :)

• Hey,

As a roman player, i choose Crop9 and the others villages support my capital ( send resources ). In this way, i can do many troops and defend the others, in case off.

As a gaul player with cheapers troops, i choose crop15 but the philosophy is the same but with one more point : your capital will serve as a garage .

Either cases, choose one capital with 100%/150% bonus of crop and as Curtain said : for an effective evolution, using gold would help a lot.

• It's a hard decision and it depends on the circumstances. An Off player should likely get preference when picking a 15c. As Deff player I usually don't have a significant income from farming early on, thus I tend to take a 9c for my main village. With good oasis it can be pretty productive in corn and give you good ress production as well.

As Deff player it is more important to be able to quickly (re)build many troops (thus building troops in every 2nd village as Gaul up to every village as Roman). It's less important to have most troops. Thus having a sound ress supply and a good crop supply in balance is a good choice.

Additionally, going for a 15c indeed calls for more gold usage during construction of the main village, especially for deff players. Thus that's a bit of consideration, too

Should you play as duke or king, then a 15c is much easier to finance as you get ress as tributes, thus a 15c might be the field of choice.