More equal server Wars

• Soooo ..... it seems that all the hard work and changes the Devs have made have cured the problem of "the meta" we thank you for that :)
    but now we have another problem in that, some kingdoms are now not strong enough to survive a full server

Anyway was having a catch up with my dual the other day and he came up with a cracking idea for how to make the servers more challenging and entertaining for all. Rather than having Com1-Com7 following the same format, why not have them ranked instead?

So .....
    Com1 Com2 could be beginners servers or for those just wanting to offer experience to new players etc
    Com3 & Com4 intermediate
    Com5 & Com6 experienced kingdoms
    and Com7 a pro server or a rolling server to replace whichever just finished

if you played on a server and it was too easy, then you know you belong on a higher level and vice versa

• Great idea
    Nothing worse than a truly one side server for both winners and loosers. Loosers get wrecked without feeling they have a chance to do anything while the winners take home the server while being boored out of their mind due to lack of challange.

Travian is at its best when you have several equal kingdoms all fighting for the win and sadly, that does not happen so often these days. Usually there is to few experienced players on the server so only a few really strong kingdoms get started and they completly wreck any beginners around them.

The end game then devolves into a 1v1 between the two strongest kingdoms. Every once in a while you will have a third party being a meta out of all the lesser kingdoms that cant make it on their own. Makes for a very unexciting end game as a clear winner is usually crowned way before the server actually ends. The rest is just waiting around for them to finish their WW

• exactly!
    I agree with what you say. I must say , Last com2x3 , com1x3 were in my opinion the most balanced travian kingdoms rounds i have seen in my travian journey so far so much so that there was not only 2 big teams fighting in the end, there was atleast 3 in the mix. And the server finish (allegedly) was a nail-biting finish. The travian team has been successful in preventing metas from getting a big advantage. Congrats Travian team :thumbup:

Travian Kingdoms Tournament, as someone suggests in a forum thread , CAN be a very good server imo :)

The Bolton sends his regards :evil:

• It's certainly an interesting idea, I kinda like it actually. Would you allow anyone to pick any server (so it's more of a recommendation)? If not, how would you determine who is allowed on which server? Prestige? Years/months played? An obvious practical problem would be: Can the player population actually support this? Would we end up with mostly empty pro servers, or perhaps mostly empty noob servers? Another problem might be that the dev team wants this version to be casual. So perhaps they won't want competitive distinctions like this.

• I can see a lot of people joining "noob" servers just to wreck everyone. Limit it by prestige? People will just create smurf-accounts. This forum is getting so many decent ideas that would be almost impossible to implement properly without problems.

• I'm surprised that some would just join a beginners-server so they can be bullies, that's really sad to think that if given a choice that players would choose the lowest level of server just to make themselves look boss, a way to counter that would be to give different medals at the end of each server.

So winning a beginners-server would give you a different medal than winning a pro-server, if you just want a chest full of "Level one" medals then it will show that you too are a "forever noob"

I would make joining a server the players choice, they may have different reason for wanting to play at a different level, but what is important is that they stay and don't delete.

Reasons players delete .......
    they got annihilated by someone - a more equal server they may have had a chance to fight back
    the server became boring - a more equal server wouldn't be as boring
    something happened in real life - not a lot can be done to avoid this in any circumstance

• Actually, currently everyone is on the "same" type of server. So if the idea works and most 'pro' players join the pro servers, everyone else should have less pros to worry about. Would you say most pros actually want to crush noobs instead of playing on an equal playing field and would therefore join the noob server? I'd think players like that would be in the minority, at least if you take metas out of the equation. I could be wrong.

Mind you, I'm not saying these problems are all-important. Anything anyone ever builds will have problems in some sense, all I'm saying is: Think about the potential issues and what you're trying to gain by implementing this.

• I for one see no fun in crushing weaker Kingdoms, the senario we have on our current server is we are already ranked much higher than everyone else we are at Mid-game and will have no options but to start fighting those lesser than us, I would much rather fight equal or better kingdoms, the win feels bigger if you manage to defeat them.

so yes, hopefully more pro v pro and then the other servers would be better matched also

Usually upto 5000 players start a server, but yet only 10-20% of those stay to the finish. Maybe if servers were ranked, more players would finish at the rank they were playing.

like in all games you will always get some going in at top level and not being able to cope, you will also get some playing a lower level at a lesser pace for them. (some would play them all just for the medals)
    But I feel that should be the individuals choice

• Would you say most pros actually want to crush noobs instead of playing on an equal playing field and would therefore join the noob server? I'd think players like that would be in the minority, at least if you take metas out of the equation. I could be wrong.

Mind you, I'm not saying these problems are all-important. Anything anyone ever builds will have problems in some sense, all I'm saying is: Think about the potential issues and what you're trying to gain by implementing this.

You raise exactly the point: the meta game is only there so that you can easily crush the others, overwhelm them in power. It's the same thinking as crushing noobs: easy victory.

I'm honestly not sure attaching levels on the servers would help matters. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. As of the current state of affairs: there's always a number of veteran players which are capable to coach the new players so that they can get the grasp of the game.

• Would you say most pros actually want to crush noobs instead of playing on an equal playing field and would therefore join the noob server.

Regardless of how true or false this statement in itself is, you can never count out how humans work. Given the chance lot of people would rather play easy game and win than hard game and lose, it's pretty trivial to prove as metas themsevels are the proof of how popular it is to simply take the easiest route possible.

That being said there is certain difference in between choosing an "easy" or "hard" server as opposed to making decision on an account you have committed lot of time and just want to get to the end (where choosing the easy road most commonly happens)

• Would you say most pros actually want to crush noobs instead of playing on an equal playing field and would therefore join the noob server? I'd think players like that would be in the minority, at least if you take metas out of the equation. I could be wrong.

The question is :
    So someone does indeed smurf , does he get respect for that? NO imo.
    Normal players play this game to see their team win, to get a decent fight, win and earn respect for the win :D

Just give smurfs shit, they wont like being there really :) and having smurfs can probably make good players sometimes :)

Atleast, if a good meta goes to beginner's server, they will get no respect atleast. They wouldn't want that. So, we can have a fair good game in the pro servers.

So, we can have a minimum prestige to go to pro level servers. I think the implementation will probably take like few lines of code and changing server name to "prox3" , "pro1" and voila

The Bolton sends his regards :evil:

• Yup, well, I'm almost in agreement. Average players tend to take the easiest available route and that's part of why metas exist. However, being a part of a meta is usually not by choice for most players except the (usually pro) meta leadership. They're the ones, and they're very few in number*, who are the type of player would indeed join a noob server to crush it. But the rest of the players mostly just sway along with the breeze - they don't really make any choices. That's the easiest possible route. Not choosing. If they start out in a meta, that's where they'll stay. If they happen to spawn into any other, non-meta alliance then they would stay there and they wouldn't do anything about their position either, since that's easiest. It's not the case that most players just want an easy game and win - that's for meta leadership types -, it's that they just want to play and don't really care or know enough to choose to play differently.

So the above is for gameplay during a server. But a similar thing actually holds if they have to pick before they join a new server: If e.g. Players' prestige level indicates they can no longer join beginner server A but should pick intermediate server B or pro-server C, then that is what most will do - instead of creating a new account and crushing noobs. It's the easiest, most obvious option there, too. If the choice is not restricted though, I'm afraid that players will underestimate themselves and pick servers that are objectively too low-skilled for them. So I would suggest putting prestige or other restrictions on servers to enforce somewhat equal servers.

By the way, Jak said in his OP that the meta problem was cured. I doubt it and have no idea if it's true, haven't played in quite a while. If it really was cured though, I think that would help make the point that good players tend to want a more active, involved game and that every other player is fine with it since that's the easiest route. If the meta problem is really solved, it's not like players cannot create metas, they apparently just often choose not to. In that case, it's plausible that good players would also tend to choose appropiate servers if those existed. Which would mean the "pro players on noob server" problem might not be too big. Also, lots of players are quite attached to their account and aren't going to bother creating a new one with 0 prestige just so they can troll noobs on a noob server. Most players just aren't like that.

*so few in number that, if you're a leader of any half-decent alliance on a server, you will likely know or have heard of most of them as the server goes on. I'm really taking about let's say 20-50 players on a 5k server, max