Roman Veterans/Newbies discussion and contest

• Dear players,

We recently asked you to start as Romans in COM2 to unlock the rewards by the 15th of March.

We know some of you always play with Romans, whereas others have never played with this tribe, so we're encouraging our most veteran Roman players to help our newbies in this contest.

Roman veterans:

• Share your tips as Roman! What do you wish you had known about the Romans since the beginning?
    • Answer the other players' questions! Be helfpul and share your knowledge!
    • Tell us your best strategy for the early game!

Roman beginners:

• Ask your questions!
    • Share your learnings!

To win, you just have to participate in this thread! Those that help the most (Ask interesting questions, answer other players' questions, share some tips, presents an awesome guide...) will get Gold prizes! Our internal jury will select these posts.

We have 7x50 Gold to share with those that participate. Please note that the gold will given next Monday (12-03-2018), but you are welcome to continue the discussion further and we might revisit the thread later on with more prizes.

Thank you and have fun!

Your Travian Kingdoms Team

Community Manager
    Travian Kingdoms International

• i would like to know what troops are the best when you start as a deff player?'
    the most comon def trops for deff romans are the praetorians but for the sake of the hideaout i should make legionarie or imperian troops?
    maybe i should just make praetorians and wait for the attack??

• would you get the stolen good if you just get attack by the hideout ? if not, going only preto make you loose troop from hideout, and dont get the stolen goods for more ressoruce to build more troops !?

• i would like to know what troops are the best when you start as a deff player?'
    the most comon def trops for deff romans are the praetorians but for the sake of the hideaout i should make legionarie or imperian troops?

Legionarie is one of the best defensive troops and they have a decent attack so my tip is to train legionaries to kill robbers..
    Is always better to attack faster possible the camps when they spawn so try to dont wait for their attacks. My opinion ^^

• Legios is a good option, when you have enough resources invest praetorians, and for your defense make both. ++ Dont forget make imperians for your assaults. i think for start can do that.

• I would rather ask to deepen the principle of exponential development exposed by many guides on the Romans that are on the net, in a few words I would like to understand if a Roman is faster to develop a farmer or offender?And why?

• First time we have to make resources to 5 lvl
    develop only resource fields
    we have the opportunity to dismantle the ruins and get resources we have the opportunity to get resources from mission
    building a warehouse to 6 lvl and building a granary to 5 lvl because we have to take resources from mission Residence
    don't forget to make 25 Legionnaires for to farm robbers
    if you start playing in the evening
    before the night you have time to build
    1) all resources 5 lvl
    2) all grain fields 3 lvl and one grain field 5 lvl
    3) warehouse 6 lvl
    4) granary 5 lvl
    5) Residence 1 lvl
    turn on 25% resource production and go to bed
    when you Wake up in the morning you will have a lot of resources and two camps of robbers
    well, here starts another story...

• I'd like to understand how to play romans but all advice for newby players is Gauls. I was advised to start playing defence to get a feel for the game and I am learning how Gauls can also build good attackers too but I think for less experienced players we are afraid to step over to the romans.

• Hi Everyone
    I would like to share my part of experience of playing with this amazing roman tribe.

First we will discuss about the buildings
    Most of us know that being Romans gives us advantage of quickly developing our village with less use of gold.
    We can upgrade building and resource to higher level simultaneously.
    Few of us know this :-
    Roman wall gives maximum defense bonus but at the same time it is the weakest wall among all tribes

Special building :-
    like every other tribe this tribe also offers a unique building called HORSE DRINKING TROUGH.
    This building reduces crop consumption of your cavalry allowing you to build larger number of offensive troops(hammer) with less crop consumption.

Troops:-
    This tribe have excellent troops to offer if you want to play offensive
    Troops are fast with impressive attacking strength
    One can get a good offensive strength Hammer with less crop consumption compared to other tribes
    This tribe is best suited to train catapults to destroy WW reason being :-
    Tuetons gets brewery as special building which gets them extra attacking bonus but catapults fire randomly
    Gauls troops are best suited to play defensive

Roman Hero :-
    The hero skill “strength” increases by 100 points instead of 80 points for each skill point added.

Roman Senetar:-
    Senator is more powerful than Gaul and Teuton equivalents

Let us discuss about few of the drawbacks of this tribe and how to overcome these :-
    1-Troops – slow speed, high build costs, slow time to train
    Solution - Get quickly to great barracks and great stable

2-Merchants– medium speed (16 f/h), low capacity (500 resources)
    Solution - build trade office

Please feel free to ask anything related to the article

• suneitherLT wrote:

should i build up troops 24/7 when i play as a Roman?

You will not be able to build troops 24/7 in the beginning because the cost is too high. However, within a few weeks, if you are raiding efficiently, then you will be able to run them 24/7.

• Hi :)

i would like to know what troops are the best when you start as a deff player?'

Well, it's as usual a bit a question of taste. If you want multi-purpose troops which you can use for offence AND defence, then build in that particular village legionairs and equites caesaris. Arguably, that's not the best defence, nor the best offence, yet it serves both purposes quite ok. Myself I prefer to have one village near my capital where I build "true" offence troops, though, usually imperians, and the weaker, but faster equites imperatoris - they server well as farm troops and it doesn't hurt too much if I loose one of it as it does loosing an EC.

In the other villages build pretorians, though:

A Roman player builds slowly, but you can in principle build in every village pretorians 24/7. You don't need barracks 20 for that, but 17 or 18 will do in order to use-up all ress. It's an expensive choice (as you need to build the smithy everywhere to lv. 20), but it gives you an incredible speed in (re-)building deff troops. And if your villages are well-placed throughout your kingdom you can also reach deff-targets despite their abysmal slow speed.

Of course you can choose to build in 2 of 3 villages instead, but with barracks 20.

should i build up troops 24/7 when i play as a Roman?

EVERY player should do that in their troop villages. As a Roman you build slowly, so it's easier and cheaper to do so.

• Hey guys, I am an experienced roman veteran, mainly on old (non-kingdom servers)

The power to be able to build both a resource field and a building is by far one of the best items in the game, especially if you aren't a player who is on 24/7.

We all know roman troops are very, very resource intensive. Ive found most success with putting off building troops until early mid game, avoiding raids when possible, but focusing on resource fields as a primary source of resource income. This is for 2 reasons, people make mistakes. When you are raiding, and you make a mistake as a roman, that can cost lots and lots of resources. almost twice as much as tuetons. Im not discouraging the use of Romans, they are very good, and fill a very unique role in travian.

I am not saying that you cannot raid actively while romans, but you will pay dearly when you make mistakes. For this reason, it is very difficult to get payed as a roman raider, and for that reason, I prefer to not go about doing this. You will find much more success playing a slow, expansive game. After all, this is what the romans are made for.

The romans shine late game, with the highest attack and infantry defense per wheat consumption, hammers and anvils of imperians and praetorians are imperative and by far the most effecient and necessary in the game (haven't even touched upon the horse drinking trough, again, late game oriented).

For most of you who haven't experienced late game, romans are ridiculously strong, but you need to get there first. I have multiple top 20 finishes population wise, and often end up with an anvil of many, many, many prats.

My final suggestion, use Lego's to raid robber camps, be very certain when raiding active villages, and look to utilize your special roman ability to the max potential. You won't ever be as rich as the Teut's who raid 24/7, but when you are 4th on the pop list, and start to get into the 8-9 village range, being a roman is going to help tremendously.

• txogma#ES wrote:

i would like to know what troops are the best when you start as a deff player?'

I would agree with legionarie if you want to start as a defense player. What is important to note is if you are attacking with praetorians you are inefficiently losing resources. Attacking with the legionarie is both much cheaper and more efficient. If you are making imperians however, you will be attacking able to attack better but now you are losing defense efficiency. I would recommend first recommend just simply clearing with legs. However, if you prefer waiting for the hideouts to attack you then, clear the hideout (of all the troops and resources) before the attack hits your village as it will 1) make you hit fewer troops in the hideout and 2) make the attack disappear thus eliminating the need to defend. This, however, comes at the cost of not getting as many treasures and resources from hideouts.

• Im a new player. Ive been playing as a Gaul but thought I should try Romans in this round. What are the Strengths of the Romans? Are Romans best as Deff or Offence?

Romans have a quite strong offence. Especially their cavallery is strong. Complementing the Teuton ram offence, the Romans make a good catapult offence as their other units build slowly but pack relatively big firepower into fewer units.
    They have the "best" scouts, as they can build the trough to feed their horses for one less crop, but they're horses, so they're fast scout units.
    They have very convincing senators, so chiefing is slightly easier.
    Their city wall is the best city defence, better than Gaul palisade or Teuton wall - yet also the most brittle one.

A Roman alone in defence is not a good choice, he lacks (cheap) decent cavallery defence, legionairs work somewhat, equites caesaris, too, but they're both not the unit of choice for defending. With a Teuton or even a Gaul teamed-up the anti-infantry defence of Romans is deadly for attackers.

Romans build very fast as they can build a building and a field AT THE SAME TIME. Use that to your advantage to build up quickly. This makes them particularily suitable as kings and dukes IMHO - they easily have the ress to really use that.