What is spiking andWhy is spiking so bad(never Done it)

• So I'm new to this game, and I'm playing on a server which i guess had a problem with it. now i guess spiking is where you place troops inside a inactive village so raiders die when they get there? if I'm correct. wouldn't that actually be a good tactic for smaller kingdoms against large pre made teams and metas?

the example i thought of was, like if a large army goes to a smaller country to fight war, and the local army uses guerrilla tactics as opposed to fighting in "proper way" it would create more of a balance right.

now if spiking is something that is just looked down upon then thats cool. but i just don't see why. it seems dumb for me to buy gold or put in any time on this game to play in a server that has already been decided by pre made teams full of vets or giant metas. I've been reading some forums about the drop off players and it seems like stuff like this is a reason.

so please explain why this is negative, seriously not trying troll lol. just wanna know. thank you

• My view on spiking (as a player who used to play the older Travian a lot and has only recently returned to Kingdoms so still developing my view)

Spiking used to be frowned upon largely because it was ineffective and "lazy". Players would spike by sending out defensive troops randomly to inactive villages which, although it would kill some troops, would target both friendly and enemy troops. Players would rarely let their own alliance know they would do it (or it would be done by smaller players without a kingdom). It wouldn't really achieve much other than slowing down the server. It was better and more cost effective to simply up your own raiding frequency to get the resources before other players could.

if I'm correct. wouldn't that actually be a good tactic for smaller kingdoms against large pre made teams and metas?

the example i thought of was, like if a large army goes to a smaller country to fight war, and the local army uses guerrilla tactics as opposed to fighting in "proper way" it would create more of a balance right.

Exactly. For some reason since I last played players seemed to have developed the attitude that spiking is completely not on, rather than even being willing to consider it as a tactic. The problem with using spiking as a tactic though is that in order to only target your enemies and not damage your friendly troops (and raiding income) it requires a fair degree of co-ordination within a kingdom. Most players would rather the raiding income (even if bigger players are getting much more) and/or would rather keep their defensive troops ready for a real attack rather than whittling them away on smaller kills. If you can't convince your team to engage in a coordinated attack but still go ahead and do it on your own than that's a bit of a low act.

But I don't understand why smaller kingdoms don't at least consider it. I guess one of the reasons why they remain small is that they are afraid to take on the larger kingdoms and just wait for them to come and attack them. Because that's the biggest risk with spiking - if you start killing another kingdoms troops it's only reasonable to expect them to try and stop you

I rarely spike myself, but that's because I prefer to raid. It's not that hard to put together a decent farming list and at least challenge the bigger players, even with a smaller army. But from time to time I will consider it - I usually only ever do it on farms I've cultivated myself though. If I've put the effort in to "convince" a player to go inactive I'll protect those resources even after their cities turn grey