High Level Cropper Fields

• When building cropper capitols for large hammers on non-speed, do most people build the wheat fields as high as possible as quickly as they can to take advantage of the really high production? or build them slow as needed which allows for more focus on building troops but limits production for the extremely high cost of fields later?

Basically, level 15, 16, and 17 wheat fields are extremely expensive. It seems like the only way to actually get those built are to take advantage of the high production from having these high level wheat fields without many troops consuming even with modest (rank 15-30) raiding. Then just using this production to queue a ton of troops once the fields are high enough. Is that the most feasible strategy or am I missing something that allows building these fields while also consuming the wheat with troops?

• If you're farming well, the troops feed themselves easily. As long as your farm income increases with more troops, they're most likely the better way to spend your resources. I don't really like level 17 fields. You usually want to calculate at which point of time the field has paid itself off. This is the time, at which you start profiting from it. Unless you have an op cropper (125 or 150 with 15c), it usually doesn't pay off before day 100++, which is too late for my taste. Also, if it gets catapulted, it's gg. In general, how far you build, depends on what your kingdom needs. If it's a simmer kingdom, that doesn't make off actions anyway, you're good with building farmtroops only (no cats and no level 20 workshop, enough rams for farm cleaning though) until your capital is finished. If you're in a high action kingdom, which relies on their offers' capability to train hammers, you want to reinforce it by training in 20/20/20 as soon as it's feaseable. As def account you think similiarily. Early game troops aren't that crop-expensive anyway.

To sum it up: Train troops in order to farm with them, as long as more troops yield more farm income (which is almost always the case), but definitely favour troops as soon as feaseable, if your kingdom has a good use for it. Lastly, calculate when the fields pay off to determine whether to build them at all.

• Thanks! I lucked out and my cropper doubled to 150% after the map expansion so I'm trying to learn to take full advantage. I've played 10 years but never with an off cropper cap. I noticed there weren't any guides either so learning on the fly. I started becoming "addicted" to my 15k-20k hourly production and was prioritizing those fields any time troops started getting my production too low so wanted to check if that was the right strategy. Sounds like no, so I'm glad I asked.

• Helpful

It's a classic it depends question but here are some of my thoughts into it and some guides on choosing how to decide yourself.

The 2 main questions you want to ask yourself are: "What I will want to do with my troops" and "How safe do I think my position is (in terms of your actual cap location but also your kingdom and your role in it)"

If your answer to the first question is more in the lines of "WW hammer" or "late game defense" then you want to build fields first and troops only after you have got yourself some basic income (raid units you can build if you farm enough to justify them)

If your second question is "very safe" then you want high level crop fields (like 16 or maybe even 17)
    Reverse is true for both

Generally speaking the greedier plays you can get away with the stronger your account will be, if you can afford not to train defense for first 2 months then you can prepare a very strong account for later and be the top defender in your team, if you get destroyed because you had no troops then that obviously is a big problem. The only exception to this is what I would consider max size WW hammers which need to build troops from at least day 30 with all lvl 20's to get to the proper size.

Generally speaking it's better to commit into troops, make a hammer and defense use it and then make more later or to just ignore troops sans farmers, power sim your account to maximum and then produce. The middle grounds tend to be where you see the weakest accounts but sometimes you need to take the middle path since it's the easiest and safest in the short term to mix things up from both sides.

One thing to not is that if you have to ask this question you obviously won't be going for the maxed out WW hammer. In that case chances are you are better off starting even that as late as day 60 with a solid economy instead of trying to trickle in some troops here and there and then lose equivalent or more later in the game when you can't feed your army anymore. Even starting that late would give about 5.6k catapults for a WW hit which isn't the best but definitely usable. If you can squeeze catapults in earlier but leave infantry last (horses pay for themselves) then that would be even better. If I were to advice a new player on how to build a WW hammer I would tell them to get lvl 16 (or 17 if they are feeling good and safe) fields, only horses till like day 40-50, start catapults and then start infantry (beyond the early games 1k to siege hideouts with) maybe day 60-70 and put all other resource into just simming your account up until that point. Don't try to run greats unless you are sure you can run them for the rest of the round (if you can only run greats for say 30 days total it's best to do that at the last 30 days so the troops cost as little as possible in upkeep). If you have extra resource after you finish your fields at around 80 to 90 then you can just increase queues and when you get them maxed out (as in they reach to day 140) then you build greats and start to run those. Just keep investing into the income as fast as you can for the entire first half since the last crunch will always be difficult

If you plan to fight the entire round building fields shouldn't be too big of an issue since your army resets every month or so meaning you have those windows where your consumption is low allowing you to power in field upgrades while you recover.

Regardless of what strategy you take it's always important to leave some resources to boost your accounts fields up at least until they are around the 16 mark. For some benchmarking you would want your capital fields to be done between days 80 and 100 to still have enough time to for them to pay themselves off, the earlier you can manage the better it is.

If you play defense then it's mostly the same with the big difference that at any point you can simply stop troops for a week if you need to because you aren't on a clock so judge how the situation is going, overbuild your actual production capacity and then just make troops based on the current need.

• Thanks both of you for the helpful information. I would love to see a guide written on this (cropper and hammer/anvil development) and one on raiding. Both of these are things that seem to be the biggest gap between average or even good players and the top players.

• If you getting towards the late game and are short on crop you can invest in crop fields to higher levels and rely on this to convert spare resources into crop. By this mechanism the payback time is much shorter. Market trading and gold resource exchange are possible but require active management. Passive wheat income from fields is easiest.