How about Kingdoms players also get 25% faster building upgrades for watching ads?

• This feature where we can upgrade up to 9 buildings a day 25% faster if we watch a 30 second advert was recently released on a Scattered Empire server (uk20), and I believe it's available on most/all old-fashioned Travian servers.

Considering how ridonkulous upgrade times are for later building levels and how much an advantage this gives gold users in game who can upgrade immediately, how's about this feature also hits our Kingdoms servers? Please?

• Players asking for ads to be implemented now? Wow, that's a new low...

Do you currently play any T4 servers? Everyone I've spoken to about this new system is happy with it. When you've got a 10 hour building or field reduced to just 7 hours 30 minutes, what's the big deal about having a 30 second advertisement play beforehand?

Travian receives more revenue from the adverts they put out, and players receive faster upgrades in return (limited to 9 a day). Win-win, is it not?

• No, I don't play T$. Gave a few goes when it first came out but that version is not for me.

What I dislike is that it simply deteriorates the quality of the game some more. Watching ads is now a gameplay mechanic and if you don't use it you'll be behind people who do. Do you think it's a fun mechanic that enhances the game? Also, do you think it will stop here? If they're desperate enough to put ads into the game this way, they'll soon be even more desperate and throw in more ads. What's the big deal when you've gotten your unit training reduces after having watched a 30 sec ad? What's the big deal after having your movement speed upgraded a bit after you watch this 1 min ad? What's the big deal if you win the server having watched this 20-hour ad? Hyperbolic but I'm sure you get my point.

• No, I don't play T$. Gave a few goes when it first came out but that version is not for me.

What I dislike is that it simply deteriorates the quality of the game some more. Watching ads is now a gameplay mechanic and if you don't use it you'll be behind people who do. Do you think it's a fun mechanic that enhances the game? Also, do you think it will stop here? If they're desperate enough to put ads into the game this way, they'll soon be even more desperate and throw in more ads. What's the big deal when you've gotten your unit training reduces after having watched a 30 sec ad? What's the big deal after having your movement speed upgraded a bit after you watch this 1 min ad? What's the big deal if you win the server having watched this 20-hour ad? Hyperbolic but I'm sure you get my point.

I get your point, but we're not talking about hypothetical (and in my opinion unrealistic) future possibilities here. I'm talking about this particular new feature, regardless of what you think it may or may not lead on to. If the Kingdoms devs were so desperate for more money from ad revenue they would have already bolted this feature on to Kingdoms servers too.

This system serves to reduce the gap between gold players and non-gold players. Also you really do not have to watch the adverts. You can click "play" then go to another tab for a short while, read the news, check up on a second server account, whatever, and the reduced build time will still begin as soon as the advertisements are played out. So in short, you will not notice it. And people do benefit from the feature. Both Travian and its playerbase.

I find it ironic that you're giving T4.4 the "T$" label when Kingdoms sucks your wallet dry faster and harder than any T4.x server ever will.

• Fair enough, let's talk about the feature as it is right now. You're saying that this reduces the gap between gold and non-gold players, but can't gold players use this too? How is the gap reduced? I understand your point about not having to watch them, but if one account uses it and another doesn't, ceteris paribus the first one has the advantage. In a competetive game these things matter even if they might seem insignificant. So you do 'have to' watch them if you're aiming to be as competitive as possible. Which means that part of your gameplay, apparently 9*30 = 270 secs, or 4,5 mins per day is spent watching (or ignoring) ads. My average Travian session, unless I'm in active combat, is not usually much longer than that. Besides that: Whether players or TG benefit from it or not, whether it's despair/necessity or just greed, whether you can ignore the ads or not, it's still a deterioration in gameplay features no matter how I look at it.

The original reason for the T$, at least as I remember it, is that T$ had more gold oriented features than T3/T2 ever did, which caused people to think that the only thing being developed at TG were more ways to make money instead of improving actual gameplay features. But I'll happily agree that this trend has continued in TK to quite some extent :)

• That's the thing though, people who use gold and use the finish now feature extensively will be hardly affected by it, as they will more than likely use it only on buildings that they aren't intending to use the gold feature on - smaller, lower levelled things that take less time to raise anyway so will hardly notice the effects of this new feature.
    Meanwhile this feature is available for those non-gold users to use on their own high-levelled fields and buildings. It does reduce the gap in this sense, because it will affect those with no gold much more than those with who use finish now extensively.

I'm no Travian dev, but I'm sure this was one of the goals of the feature, aside form extra revenue gain from ads. And it's a good one, in my opinion. I'll happily agree to disagree with you, and I'm curious to hear what other people think on the matter too.

• Railgunz :

I had a look at UK20, and I agree with you for several reasons, chief among them that TG does have (no choice) to make a profit in order to stay in business and provide a game for us to play. This is a fact of life and cannot be avoided or skirted.

I don't like advertisements any more than the next guy, and I would like to (dream that it is) have a completely free to play game without advertisements or cost of any kind. That is an unobtainable pipe dream, and anyone who doesn't see it simply isn't looking in the right place. Again, a fact of life.

The ads in SE are unobtrusive, are voluntary, and are currently limited as you said to 9 per day. Gold users who would insta-build would never use them and so would not be bothered by them. Non or low gold users who do not often use insta-build have a choice whether to view the ads or not. If they choose to watch a 30 second ad, and in doing so generate some profit for TG, they will recieve a 25% reduction in the time it takes that particular level of the chosen building to be completed - while at the same time reducing the need for TG to generate revenue by selling gold. The feature appears to me to be a win/win situation for all players, gold users or not. They are not banner ads or other ads you are forced to watch, and 9x30 seconds equal a total of 270 seconds or 4-1/2 minutes per day. Personally, I would not object if several times that many voluntary ads were available for a player to choose to watch if he or she chooses.

• Is there a possibility that even the notification of a waiting ad could cause a player to miss sending waves at a specific time to the second to match another player's waves? How about a goldless server with ads? TG gets the needed income and gold players lose their advantages. I'd happily try a Kingdoms server with ads .

• Is there a possibility that even the notification of a waiting ad could cause a player to miss sending waves at a specific time to the second to match another player's waves?

This is impossible because the adverts only appear and play when you tell them to.

• This is impossible because the adverts only appear and play when you tell them to.

That is correct. Here is a screen shot showing the added button to click if you wish to view an ad to reduce the building time:

Ads.JPG

I believe this would work for TK. Although apparently in the SE server for testing, I can see it being added to all TG games. As I said and as you can see, it is entirely unobtrusive and can be completely ignored if you don't wish to use it.