Do you think servers are too crowded and if so, how would you like to see it fixed? 10
Make map expand sooner. (4) 40%
Keep old spawns closed. (relocating / deleting doesn't open up the spawn location) (1) 10%
Increase base map radius. (to 70, the same as after 1st map expansion) (1) 10%
Decrease available spawns by spreading them out. (0) 0%
Servers are too crowded but I don't like any of the options above. (3) 30%
Servers aren't too crowded. (1) 10%
I know we talked about this before but I feel that this is still a pressing issue and I simply can't find the old thread.
Servers become too crowded.
The original solution:
The map expands based on the number of available spawns.
It seems to happen when any quadrant runs out of spawn locations. I could very well be wrong on this specific.
Why has this solution become insufficient?
1. The relocation system has made it possible for people to relocate to non-spawn tiles, opening up their original spawn tile for new players.
2. Less players register later in a server. By the time a quadrant has filled up the first inactives start despawning, opening up the old spawn locations.
1. Make map expand sooner. Once all spawns X tiles away from the map edge have been taken the map expands. Or factor in the world age.
2. Don't open up old spawns. When someone relocates their spawn opens up once or twice for new players to spawn and then it gets locked. When inactives despawn their former village locations don't open up as spawns. Don't despawn inactive and instead allow them to be catted down. Allow kings to prevent spawns in their kingdom. Slowly lock spawns from the center outwards.
3. Increase base map size. Maps never seem to expand more than once anyway so base size is too small, first expanse is good enough. Right now the map has a radius of 60, first expansion makes it 70, so lets do that.
4. Decrease the available spawns. By making the spawns more sparse players get a bit more space, decreasing crowding. Less spawns means that the condition for map expansion is reached sooner, again decreasing crowding.
Technically easiest solution:
I think from a technical point #3 is the easiest solution.
This also increases total croppers at server start, which is also something some people asked for.
Most elegant solution:
Combination of #2 and #3.
Though #3 addresses the crowding and the croppers, it fails to prevent another nasty byproduct of spawns opening up.
I've seen people who start more than a week late spawn very close to the center, often within an already established kingdom.
By locking the spawns you prevent new players from being dropped in an overwhelming situation. And you prevent frustration in already established kingdoms over total newbies spawning inside the borders hogging a potentially desirable tile.
Game slows down, people have more space, will have less to fight over.
My personal suggestion:
Try to increase the base map radius from 60 to 70 and see what happens.
Please feel free to add your solutions, thoughts, problems, and other suggestions.
I'll try to add them by editing this post.