The "Magic Attack"

• Hey all. I wanted to share a strategy that I knew would work in theory - but never had the opportunity to try it. I think that it is a very interesting strategy that could have a lot of applications on a server. It for sure adds another dimension to think about when defending treasuries.

Background

A few days ago I had a player come to me and say that they did not have the ability to keep their hammer going for the rest of the server. They had a fantastic start to a WW hammer and I hated to lose it, but life happens and I fully respected his decision to take a step back. I did not have a target at the moment - but a target presented itself shortly thereafter due to an interesting set of circumstances. The strategy discussed below is something that I've had mulling around in my mind for quite some time now. I have always wanted to try it so I'm thrilled with the outcome.

The Game Features

I have always known that if a player has two treasury villages - and you destroy all the treasury buildings in one of those villages - they will automatically transfer away. I have been a victim on this front several times when trying to steal treasures: the treasury is the main target and after the second or third attack all the treasuries are destroyed and the treasures are gone to another village. I've always wanted to try and use this feature to my advantage in an attack - but I've never had the opportunity present itself until this week.

The Targets

As you can see - there are two treasury villages - both owned by the same player.

In this specific scenario there are only two treasuries, so we did not have to contend with an additional treasury village.Previous information about the main target - the treasury village - we knew that it already contained a certain amount of standing defense, so it was unlikely that they would pull it down in anticipation of the attack.Luckily for us, this was true.

The Kingdom that was targeted had a total of 6 treasuries - we sent fakes on 5 of them. Only 4 armies were actively used in this operation.

The "Magic Attack"

Treasury #1: Siege

Due to the number of treasures in the Kingdom it appeared that there were quite a number of treasuries that were not "in production". We took a gamble that we could hit the treasury with a single attack because it appeared that there was not more than two treasuries in the village. It was quite the surprise when we saw only one there. This particular attack was sent as a siege. It was the first attack that got sent that day. Now was the point that we saw if the attack was actually successful.

Treasury #2: Attack 1

My hammer landed at exactly the same time as the large siege. I did not encounter any resistance in the treasury - but the treasures were not there. So, this was a useful data point: attacks sent to land on the same time are only ordered if they are sent on the same village. Again - this is something useful that could be learned from this attack.

The second hammer that was used in the attack however picked up all of the treasures.

Treasury #2: Attack 3

This is where things got a little confusing. This hammer was meant to destroy the treasury. However, it walked away with all of the treasures. As you can see - in my first attack - I did not destroy the treasury. We thought that perhaps the hammer that was to hit third landed early, and without a hero, and that was what destroyed the treasury. It took us sometime to identify what exactly happened to the treasury it self. The theory at first was some sort of glitch - however - the truth was much more fascinating.

Treasury #2: Attack 2, (meant to only be a fake).

After all of my years playing this game - ceases to amaze me. I had asked some players for additional help sending attacks. I was not sure how effective this attack was going to be - and I did not want to potentially waste prime raiding hours for more than a few players. It is a Night Truce server after all.

I've found the "over powered" conversations on the forums over the years to be very interesting - but I don't think anyone has ever discussed how effective 35 phalanx and a single catapult could possible be 8o

I hope that you have found this strategy at the very least interesting. I call it the "Magic Attack" because I felt like a magician afterwards. The treasures were in one village - and then a moment later I made them appear elsewhere. It took one hammer, and that hammer did not even have to clear the treasury that it was hitting.

It is moments like this that I remember why I love Travian. The strategy fascinates me and it seems like there is always something new to learn and share.

Edited 2 times, last by Wheat Dragon: Edited for clarity of troop landings and which treasury the report was from. ().

• It is a good strategy, but I wouldn't call it magic, rather a well planned operation. :D

So, this was a useful data point: attacks sent to land on the same time are only ordered if they are sent on the same village.

Actually this is not entirely true. Moving treasures is not instant, it may take a few seconds for it to move. You got lucky, that the attack at :01 fetched them. When I did this a few years ago I did not know that treasures may take a few seconds and the attack on the smaller treasury didn't steal anything (despite being different seconds). :| Since then I always leave 3-4 seconds between the big and small treasury - I'd recommend this to be sure. :D

• It is a good strategy, but I wouldn't call it magic, rather a well planned operation. :D

Actually this is not entirely true. Moving treasures is not instant, it may take a few seconds for it to move. You got lucky, that the attack at :01 fetched them. When I did this a few years ago I did not know that treasures may take a few seconds and the attack on the smaller treasury didn't steal anything (despite being different seconds). :| Since then I always leave 3-4 seconds between the big and small treasury - I'd recommend this to be sure. :D

Good to know! I would be interested to see how this strategy evolves over time. In this specific instance, it took 1 second to move and they moved at the start of that second. Like most strategies that I try in this game I like to have multiple data points to see how effective certain strategies are. So this is just another point of data to me! :)

I was worried that the game would "queue" up actions and it would have the attacks land first, because they were sent first. This was my first time trying it - so I'm glad that it went so smoothly!

You might not call it magic... but right before the attack I put a blanket over my monitor and said "abracadabra" and then whipped it off and those treasures had moved... :D:D