How to make center play more attractive?

• A few hours into the server you will see a lot of kings appear with low prestige and random names.

They menhir a ton of players from their meta and then the kings either delete, go inactive, or sometimes they join the people they brought over.

The menhir system allowed us to play with the people we want.

Now I noticed that playing the outer side of the map also has the advantage that you don't have random players in your kingdom that you DON'T want.

You can't menhir away the people that you do not want to play with.

People who want to play center will be stuck with grey villages in their kingdom for 21 days. That's pretty sad in my opinion.

On top of that, people who are actually active will likely be joining a meta, which usually settle along the edge of the map, or at least not center. Those active players will menhir away and their spawn locations will be filled up with new people until you have someone who will stay. Those who stay are more likely to become inactive soon. For a center king this basically means the menhir system is rerolling their spawn locations until they get an inactive player. That's kinda sad.

Now I don't know a direct solution to this but maybe you do, so please let me know what you think.

What I do suspect will help a lot is if the spawns are a bit more spread out. Right now kings spawn with borders touching. If there could be a bit more space between them, say 2 tiles more, and govs could only spawn in the initial area of a kingdom (the below 100 pop influence) then the king could use the tiles he gets from expanding his influence to menhir other players without worrying too much about what people spawn in his area.

This would also push people a bit more outward, meaning even the kingdoms who play along the edge will experience some drawbacks from having people spawn in their area who will soon go inactive.

• What if the start system was changed completely and you randomly started all around the map (rather than close to 0/0) & if you choose direction it puts you further out in that direction rather than ending up central regardless of your choice.

Maybe even make it that everyone started as Gov & introduce some NPC Kings? so that no one can make a Temp King acc & people have to plan more to get their Kingdom established

• The center is too crowded that's the problem, where do you even put your villages? I like to have my villages close together but its impossible.

Also I think menhir should have a timer so it is not abused. If you menhir you can't do it again for 24hr, this will disturb the quick settling menhir liars but the purpose of menhir is to relocate not to fast settle. The grey villages should be destroyable, they are taking up space and stealing precious tribute.

I'm building a hammer on the edge right now, been simming and building troops for the last 14 days so there is barely any action out here. I am bored but I must keep going. I might attack another kingdom but sending multiple fakes so i am not stacked.

The menhiring system allows premades to dominate the server. I would like to see more middle powers by reducing the strength of these big kingdoms, i think smaller teams are more engaging and fun.

• What if the start system was changed completely and you randomly started all around the map (rather than close to 0/0) & if you choose direction it puts you further out in that direction rather than ending up central regardless of your choice.

So add center to the preferred starting location?

At the start the game has a radius of 60. The center would then be a circle with radius 27. Problem is, there are 6 wonders spread out over the 4 quadrants. Perhaps it would be better to split the spawn locations in 7 then, one for each wonder? Problem then is that the wonders are so close to the edge of the map that you can't really properly spawn around it.

Maybe even make it that everyone started as Gov & introduce some NPC Kings? so that no one can make a Temp King acc & people have to plan more to get their Kingdom established

How would NPC kings work? What would their purpose be?

Also I think menhir should have a timer so it is not abused. If you menhir you can't do it again for 24hr, this will disturb the quick settling menhir liars but the purpose of menhir is to relocate not to fast settle.

What if menhirs wouldn't be possible for the first 24hours? People would have to resort to the old version of the speed settle guide. Then speed settling is still an issue. The main issue with speed settling is that people get the cp by essentially rushing quests that they shouldn't be doing yet. I highly doubt the quest system was meant to be used in this manner. I think it is more the fast settling itself that needs to be addressed rather than the role of the menhir in the current fast settle strategy.

The menhiring system allows premades to dominate the server. I would like to see more middle powers by reducing the strength of these big kingdoms, i think smaller teams are more engaging and fun.

Do we want to reduce the power of big kingdoms or do we want to empower center play?

I kind of like that idea.....no kings from the start......and to become king you have to do......something....maybe attain 200 pop....or go through a series of quests.

• So add center to the preferred starting location?

At the start the game has a radius of 60. The center would then be a circle with radius 27. Problem is, there are 6 wonders spread out over the 4 quadrants. Perhaps it would be better to split the spawn locations in 7 then, one for each wonder? Problem then is that the wonders are so close to the edge of the map that you can't really properly spawn around it.

Yes make it so that the map has more directional options, so you can stay central or you can head out towards one of the other 6 WWs

How would NPC kings work? What would their purpose be?

NPC Kings all across to map to spread the spawn locations, rather than everyone falling over themselves around 0/0. It serves 2 purposes,

• It helps teams plan a direction better (maybe it could be a discussion point before a server starts)
    • But also it gives more space for New Kingdoms be in a better position on the map to develop & recruit players into a more spacious border, rather than all being crowded around the centre & everyone just using New Kings for menhir and then abandoning them to join their intended kingdom.

I kind of like that idea.....no kings from the start......and to become king you have to do......something....maybe attain 200 pop....or go through a series of quests.

Yes make it harder to be King, this also takes away some of the start-up abuse that happens when certain teams keep making "Temp Kings" to then use to farm tributes.

• NPC Kings all across to map to spread the spawn locations, rather than everyone falling over themselves around 0/0. It serves 2 purposes,

It helps teams plan a direction better (maybe it could be a discussion point before a server starts)
    But also it gives more space for New Kingdoms be in a better position on the map to develop & recruit players into a more spacious border, rather than all being crowded around the centre & everyone just using New Kings for menhir and then abandoning them to join their intended kingdom.

I don't think I fully understand yet.
    How does it help with planning?

How does the menhir system work with NPC kings?

Why would NPC kings be better than no kings at all?

Perhaps a simple visualization would help.

• Heya it's only an idea, you asked for ideas ..... run with it as you will :)

But as I see it atm we have a system that spawns everyone into the game from "the centre outwards" so 0/0 ends up being really crowded & the outer edges really empty, which seems quite unbalanced, especially for new kings, that don't always understand that where you spawn isn't always the best place to establish your kingdom, which then leads to early wars & a lot of players being defeated & leaving the server.

Early wars are never usually great wars, they are just bigger kingdoms bullying & clearing the area of smaller kingdoms. so having more space would allow newer/less experienced kings/kingdoms some growing room to get established.

If you had NPC Kings all around the map then everyone would spawn into one of these instead & then only be able to open their own treasury by settling away from these NPC Kings,

either as.....

• a quest option chosing to crown yourself King selects a random 4446 relocation from "X" amount of squares from NPC King you chose in your start direction.
    • or you can choose a 4446 tile to relocate to again within a certain amount of tiles from your NPC King.

and then if the NPC Kingdoms borders filled up more would appear in a random locations

(depending on the amount of players on a server)

Planning a Kingdom would require more than "lets make a load King acc's and menhir everyone into them" if the criteria for being King was made harder.

and then if several premades were to join a server they could have an open discussion on the forums to decide which direction they planned to aim for & then this might also tempt more players to get involved depending on the talent of the teams involved ^^

another point to mention for New Kings, they would easily be able to spot the players in the NPC Kingdoms & it could perhaps make recruitment easier?

• either as.....

a quest option chosing to crown yourself King selects a random 4446 relocation from "X" amount of squares from NPC King you chose in your start direction.

Sounds nice but also complex.

Lets continue with this idea.

Everyone has to start Gov.
    You spawn in the area of an NPC (natar?) king. These kings are spread out over the map with an influence of a 1000pop treasury.

If you want to become king you will receive a quest to be relocated or something. Difficult to imagine how this would work.

Planning a Kingdom would require more than "lets make a load King acc's and menhir everyone into them" if the criteria for being King was made harder.

I completely agree. If you actually make it a requirement for a king to be active instead of just a message "high time investment".
    Perhaps a system where you have to defeat the first 5 robber camps before you can crown yourself king? Problem then is that you'll have to be lucky regarding the spawn location of the camps. This might make people go back to the pre-menhir settle guide. They deal with camps while fast settling and then are dependent on who sends first. Combine that with more spread out spawn locations and people will have to make weigh their options. They can spawn early but have long travel time, or spawn later but have less travel time. If you spawn early you might want to look for croppers close by instead of just going for the best one out there.

I'd like to take this moment to once again complain that gauls have an unfair advantage when fast settling. The settlers are cheaper and train faster. Only the training time needs to be fixed for it to already be a lot more balanced.

another point to mention for New Kings, they would easily be able to spot the players in the NPC Kingdoms & it could perhaps make recruitment easier?

Excellent point. Players who are left behind in the NPC kingdoms will indeed be most likely newbies.

• Look at this complete disaster of a map, I flagged the large kingdoms.

You can see all the players who stayed in the center, and everyone who got menhired out after kings opened up their treasuries.

MOST OF THE MAP IS EMPTY.

Because these large kingdoms have retreated towards their side of the world the game has turned into a sim CARE BEAR MODE.

Unknown Pls this is an important issue.

Files

• 2.png

(892.29 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )

:):thumbsup::)