Too many kings, not enough governors.

• Well, here I am giving advice again. For those who don't know me, I am a grumpy old man who played the alpha as governor, the closed beta as king and the FIS as governor. I speak my mind after careful thought (and sometimes in response to what I consider provocation, without thinking at all - but that is another story).

My name is Dan, and I am happy to try and help, whether team mate or enemy. Here is my first advice for all players on com2.

There are far too many kings and far too few governors. Being a king does not make you royalty, and being governor does not make you less than a king. It takes both, and all members of a kingdom should feel like they are equal members of a team, with the king taking a leadership role.

Governors can grow faster, develop troops faster (with resources and stolen goods from robber hideouts, which kings do not get), can certainly upgrade heroes faster with xp from robber hideouts, and are free to cluster villages if they choose.

Kings do collect tributes (generated by the game), but the amount is dependent on the number of villages inside the kingdom and the production and storage of resources in those villages. Kings have to settle scattered out in order to expand influence and keep their governors' villages within the borders.

Currently, 61% of those registered are governors and 38% are kings. That is an average of 1.6 governors per kingdom. The #1 kingdom has 8 governors, so you can see there is a definite shortage of governors.

I advise all who are not playing dual accounts or active many hours multiple times per day to abdicate and play this server as governor - trust me, you will be thankful you did. Merge as many kingdoms as possible, and try for a minimum of 10 governors per kingdom.

• This is so true Dan but most people meet Travian Kingdoms for the first time here. For those of us coming from Aplha, Beta & FIS it is a different story. We had the chance to test and play this version a lot and we understand more. My suggestion for new players is to try both roles. No matter what they started for they should switch at some point to see and understand every aspect of the game. This might not be the best way for a succesfull game (in order to win the server) but on the other hand we are still in Beta so testing and experimenting is the point again I guess.

Wishmaster from Phoenix

• Hi, I want to change my account to governor. Can you tell how can I do this?

This is done in the embassy, as is crowning yourself king - which you can do over and over if you choose, with each coronation ceremony taking longer than the last. I answered your PM, but will answer here as well in case someone else has the same question. I won't put the link in I gave you, but will say the wiki gives a great deal more information and is well worth the time to check it out.

• This is so true Dan but most people meet Travian Kingdoms for the first time here. For those of us coming from Aplha, Beta & FIS it is a different story. We had the chance to test and play this version a lot and we understand more. My suggestion for new players is to try both roles. No matter what they started for they should switch at some point to see and understand every aspect of the game. This might not be the best way for a succesfull game (in order to win the server) but on the other hand we are still in Beta so testing and experimenting is the point again I guess.

In this case, it's up to us to let the new guys know how things work before someone does something they may later regret. I think it's ok to advise against so many kings.
    New players who are kings should soon realise how things work when other kingdoms begin to disappear, making room for other kings to expand their kingdoms.

• Players don't have the notion of what each role means yet, so basically they think being king is better than being governor and it is so not true.
    I played a little closed beta so some thing may have changed but from my xp then :

What does a governor do : He plays travian basically only managing his own account. But he still can play the way he chooses if he want to play defense or attack is still up to him.
    What does a king do : He plays travian managing his kingdom and diplomacy

What are the avantages of being governor :
    * you get bonus ressources generated by the game from attacking robbers camps and hideouts (they show up only for governors) and they also give treasure that you can sell back to your king getting additionnal ressources.
    * longer protection
    * less diplomacy problem (since your king is suppose to handle those)
    * If you think your king is not active enough you have a lot of way to react and choose a better one :
    - you can crown yourself king, just to join an alliance with a king of your choosing then become governor again (takes times but it worked well in the first stages of the game)
    - you can just wait for a neighbouring king to get enough influence on one of your village to invite you in his kingdom
    - if the kingdom is developped enough but the king stop being active, or you know other fellow governors don't like the way he handles things either, you can revolt, crown yourself king and invote others governor to desert to your kingdom.

The disadvantage of being governor : You don't get you choose your ally (you have the one your king is in)

The advantages of being king :
    * you get bonus ressources from the tributes of your governors except if they are not active enough, they will be very low and if their village is attacked, it will be the 1st things to be stolen.
    * you have to do all the diplomacy work (yes some people like it) with your allyes, with your governors , ect ..

The disavantages of being king :
    * It will be very difficult to get good governors (you are basically stuck with the one that spawned near you
    * you will have to be a better king to get good governors near you to defflect to your kingdom (take less tribute, show that you can efficiently protect them ect ..)
    * you risk loosing your governors and when you don't have any you are screwed.

That's why I started out as a governor and intend to stay one (except using the crowning/abdiquing trick to get a better king if that still works) but honnestly if you think kings have power over governors you are just plain wrong it's the opposite, because governors can choose their king and kings can't choose their governors and king relies a lot on their governors, if they are stuck with bad ones they can't to much about it.

• The weak kings will naturally become governors with time. Just wait a few weeks and let it play out.

I would like to think people would want the best chance they can give themselves. Perhaps I see the roles of king and governor a bit differently than some - including at least some of the devs - as I see the governors as active team members with an active role to play in team actions and not a passive and barely active dependent of the king; but most will agree that governor is the best choice for most who will play. Personally, I would like to see this server be a positive experience for everyone possible.

• I'll gladly beat a weaker king into submission ;)

Once the players are familiar with the game, there will be a lot of that.. Until then, assuming it will not offend you too badly, I will continue to try and help those who haven't played the test servers become familiar with the game.

• This is done in the embassy, as is crowning yourself king - which you can do over and over if you choose, with each coronation ceremony taking longer than the last. I answered your PM, but will answer here as well in case someone else has the same question. I won't put the link in I gave you, but will say the wiki gives a great deal more information and is well worth the time to check it out.

I would like to change my account to governor as well but i cant ind how. I looked in the embassy but i dont know what to do. plz help

• I would like to change my account to governor as well but i cant ind how. I looked in the embassy but i dont know what to do. plz help

You can only change your ruler type every 24 hours, so if you've only just created your account or you changed to King less than 24 hours ago you're going to have to wait