City Founding?! What's this?!

• Hi DanielsLSx,

Upgrading to a city is definitely different from settling another village. :)

There are advantages and disadvantages to upgrading to a city vs setting another village. Check out our wiki page called Village or City to see all the differences.

Let us know if you have more questions,
    Cynthia

• Hi! I don't really understand the disadvantiges, except city becoming village. Can someone explain it more please? :)

Disadvantages of upgrading to a city

• Another village may be more flexible in your building plans as a king to expand territory or a governor to access a different oasis for the new village.
    • Another village can produce more than 200 or 500 culture points (capitol) and have more than 500 population in time.
    • Building resource fields in a new village is less expensive in terms of production/resource.
    • Two villages produce slightly more resources than one city.
    • As soon as your city drops below 1k in population, it is reduced back to a village. This means all of your level 12resource fields are reduced to 10. This can happen if your village is hit by an attack.
    • You do not get additional building queues (Barrack, Stable, Workshop) and you do not get the option to celebrate an additional feast in the Tavern.

That explains it pretty well.

• It also takes longer before you get the required 500 pop, putting you at least temporarily behind on people who will have their second village way before you get your city. I don't think this is often worth it, not for your first village, but like always it all depends on your situation. Having less villages lets you sim less and therefore invest less time.

• I would advise against founding cities until you are at least satisfied with the number of villages you have already settled.

Personally, I tend to found a city after I've settled 4 villages, then settle more villages before founding a second city.

More advice: Do not make your capital a city early in the game. Because you are already able to raise fields past level 10 in a capital, it would be redundant to make it a city simply for the extra culture points.

• DanielHart: Thank you, I can read and I know how to open a link.

So the only problem why not found village and make a city is not enough culture points? Else I don't know what really is the problem.

• DanielHart: Thank you, I can read and I know how to open a link.

So the only problem why not found village and make a city is not enough culture points? Else I don't know what really is the problem.

I certainly didn't mean to imply you could not read and open links. I was only trying to be helpful.

Perhaps it is a language issue. I am still not understanding your question. I think the advantages to making a city outweigh the disadvantages if that city is a 7, non-cap 9, or non-cap 15. But not for a first village.

It takes 500 population, 500 crop production and CP equal to one new village to upgrade a village to a city, but it does not use an expansion slot. A city with level 12 fields produces slightly less than two villages with level 10 fields. You may not get as much CP from a fully upgraded city as you would from two fully upgraded villages - but in a city the moat at level 20 gives you a 30% defense bonus, the time to upgrade buildings, research and upgrade troops, etc, is the same as one - not two villages.

I see little added advantage other than the moat, to making a capital a city, since in a cap fields are unlimited and you have a stonemason anyway.

I hope that response is more helpful.

• Oh, please accept my apologies, I misunderstood you. :)

How you wrote it out is very understandable (is that a word? :D ) to me, thank you

Just one more question that isn't clear to me from wiki, or this thread...Can I have more than one village promoted to a city?

How you wrote it out is very understandable (is that a word? :D ) to me, thank you

Just one more question that isn't clear to me from wiki, or this thread...Can I have more than one village promoted to a city?

No apologies necessary:)

Yes. Any village that meets the requirements listed can be upgraded to city as long as you have CP for it.

Yep, as many as you want to.

• Perhaps it is a language issue. I am still not understanding your question. I think the advantages to making a city outweigh the disadvantages if that city is a 7, non-cap 9, or non-cap 15. But not for a first village.

I actually think making a city before second village is more efficient than settling unless you have a really good cropper near by. When i uppgrade to a city i will be producing what 800 CP/day when other people are still struggling with just 300 CP/day production, also my small parties and paintings will be more effective. After that i will go for chiefs and get a natar cropper, most of the people are racing for a free cropper when theres hundreds of natar croppers free to chief and i'll save the time upping fields to 10 :rolleyes:

Me and lbobl have been trying out different strategies since we started playing T5/TK, after fis servers it was easy to say that fastest way to unlock third and fourth CP slot was to make a city first!

• I actually think making a city before second village is more efficient than settling unless you have a really good cropper near by. When i uppgrade to a city i will be producing what 800 CP/day when other people are still struggling with just 300 CP/day production, also my small parties and paintings will be more effective. After that i will go for chiefs and get a natar cropper, most of the people are racing for a free cropper when theres hundreds of natar croppers free to chief and i'll save the time upping fields to 10 :rolleyes:

Me and lbobl have been trying out different strategies since we started playing T5/TK, after fis servers it was easy to say that fastest way to unlock third and fourth CP slot was to make a city first!

It's too late for me this round, but in future if I do find myself spawned pretty close to natar villages, I'll be giving this a shot.