Vice King feature

• I see Hand of the King is very popular, and it does described the role well, but i agree that it belongs in Game of Thrones and not in Travian.

What about Viceroy instead of Vice King? we had a bit of discussion about this on closed beta. I think it is a better known term for English speakers?

What happens if we have already voted and then change our minds when new ones are added? :rolleyes: I would go for Viceroy if it was added, and if not i would change my vote to Lieutenant from Nobleman

Just to add to the confusion :p

• I see "General" is already on the list and if we little change it to "Governor General" then I think would be the best adequate as King assistant. My point is King already surrounded with his governors, so Governor General make sense as king's assistant or bridge between King and all Governors.

Governor General = gg in short :)

• I like Viceroy! Too bad it was not in the list when I voted :(

• Constable is an adequate title too, if we follow the french meaning of it.
    Office created somewhere around the 11th century and abolished in the 18th, the constable was second only to the king, and was in charge of commanding the army. Famous constables were for instance Bertrand du Guesclin or Montmorency.

The title describes perfectly the office in my opinion. Unfortunately I'm not sure it has quite the same meaning in english =/

• You know that might make an interesting twist of events in Kingdoms. having the ability to dispose of a gov, king, or alliance leader by a no confidence vote. Just thinking out loud, i don't think there is any real merit to it, i just like brainstorming every once in a while, maybe spark some kind of solution idea in others. i really like the historical facts that you bring to the table, like the salt to a meal.

That's a good idea! Kingdoms is a great idea. If the kingdoms were somehow larger with more players, then a council of elders would be a great thing to introduce. And, vote of no confidence! Wonderful, haha.
    Well you're welcome! I love sharing facts. History is my passion! But I hate salt :P

• Well... I've never heard of any satrapies outside of that area. There are occasional modern references, but those don't really apply.
    As for dukes, the title may have come from the Germanic tribes, but it was widely used throughout Europe...besides, we have a German tribe as one of our 3 choices. And emperor has also been quite widely used, from Rome (another of our 3 options), through much of Europe and even into Asia. Knights were English, but certainly French as well (...and that would be our 3rd choice of tribe).

Fair, but remember satrapies were placed around the empire by Alexander the Great - and his empire was enormous, bigger than that of Rome's (smaller only to Persia, which was the largest empire the world has known). Granted, he took the idea directly from Persia, but his empire and his Hellenisation arguably give us the tribes that we're playing on today in Travian, so satrapies can't be overlooked as something that just happened once in Persia, it affected the world.

Also, I assumed Gaul was primarily France? Sure it incorporated a lot of Germany (the whole west of the Rhine), but its a French tribe in its roots. Anyway that's irrelevant.
    I think Carthage should be force in Travian, what do you think? We have Rome and its biggest opposition during the Empire - the Germanic tribes of Gaul and the Teutons (eastern Europe), but Carthage were Rome's biggest opposition before Gaul. It surprises me how Travian introduced two tribes of the Germanic clan, whilst ignoring such a huge threat (the bigges, in fact) like Carthage.

You seem to know your stuff, I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

• Satrapies were more or less administrative regions. So the satrap doesn't really describe the office of "Vice King" at all.

You're talking about Carthage but it would probably be more accurate to talk about the huns, if we want to remain historically accurate. If I'm not mistaken, it's the invasion of Huns that pushed the teutonic tribe to the west. Which is exactly the situation we're in, with Romans/Gauls/Teut.

• Fair, but remember satrapies were placed around the empire by Alexander the Great - and his empire was enormous, bigger than that of Rome's (smaller only to Persia, which was the largest empire the world has known).

True, but while he was technically European, most of his empire was in the regions generally considered as Persia. I don't believe he ever had a European satrapy.
    (And as a side note, the largest empire is generally an argument between the modern British, the Mongol horde as started by Ghengis, and perhaps the Qing dynasty in China. Though these things are pretty tough to quantify due to the varying nature of the world, and how one counts largest -- total population and/or land, percentage and/of pop or land, etc.)

Also, I assumed Gaul was primarily France

Tough to say, really. At their peak, the Gauls had parts of Germany, France, Britain and a good pieces of the rest of Europe.
    But for the purposes of Travian, it seems the Teutons were the Germans, Gauls were the French, and Romans were, of course, Romans/Italians. Of course, being a German company, it could also be supposed that both the Teutons and Gauls are meant to be German, and the Romans are included as the most well-known Empire.

I think Carthage should be force in Travian, what do you think?

Meh...I don't think much on the history part of it all that much considering how little the game represents any of that, outside of some of the naming conventions.
    But if they were to introduce a new tribe, I would think the British (Saxons?), Persians or Greeks (Sparta?) might be a better fit. Though personally, I'd love to play as the Mongols.

• Satrapies were more or less administrative regions. So the satrap doesn't really describe the office of "Vice King" at all.

We have not been told what role the 'Vice King' would play yet, so we cannot say that it is unlike the role of a Satrap.

Gaul fell under Roman control almost two hundred years before the Huns even appeared in history - therefore, the Gauls and the Huns never really knew one another. That is inaccuracy - unlike the introduction of Carthage, as they were a current threat whilst all of the above tribes are at play. Imagine if Travian introduced Carthage? Rome's biggest enemy since the legendary founder of Rome, Aeneas', journey from Troy to Italy!

as some of you know from closed beta, there is a 'Vice King' feature planned for TK. Their goal will be to assist the king in his duties and for that they'll also generate influence over the surrounding region! Currently I can't give you more details about it, but updates will follow.

We don't have a full idea of what the role will be but that is sufficient enough to know that it's nothing close to a satrap.

True for Gaul though.

• So I'm not as good as you are with the separating of quotes, so I'll type continuous.
    That's a good point. I was referring merely to topographical occupation, not population.
    The Greeks (SPA) would be a great idea! Imagine their offence (hoplite), and their defence (phalanx)? Wow. Obviously, the game lacks historical accuracy, so it would be fine to introduce Sparta I guess. Saxons is a good one, too.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't have a full idea of what the role will be but that is sufficient enough to know that it's nothing close to a satrap.

True for Gaul though.[/COLOR]

Agreed agreed. I assumed with the number of kingdoms around Travian, the satrap sprung to mind. But reading the role of the Vice King, you're right. Opposite to a satrap. If anything, it sounds more like a king's mother. In almost every ancient empire we have seen, the king's mother has the most influence over the king. Ha!

I vote a new name. King's Mother.

• So I'm not as good as you are with the separating of quotes, so I'll type continuous.

For multiple posts, use the multi-quote button just to the right of the Reply with Quote button -- it's the one with a the open quote and the +. ( "+ )

For cutting into a post, I just find it easier to respond to various thoughts by cutting a post up (and find it easier to read when others do the same).
    The simplest way is just to quote one thing, find the closing [/ quote ] at the end (without spaces) and cut & paste it to the end of the first thing you want quoted.
    Then highlight the text you want and click the Quote button (far right after all the B / I / U / Font / Size / etc. /....... squarish thing that looks like a cartoon bubble).

• For cutting into a post, I just find it easier to respond to various thoughts by cutting a post up (and find it easier to read when others do the same).
    The simplest way is just to quote one thing, find the closing [/ quote ] at the end (without spaces) and cut & paste it to the end of the first thing you want quoted.
    Then highlight the text you want and click the Quote button (far right after all the B / I / U / Font / Size / etc. /....... squarish thing that looks like a cartoon bubble).

Thanks a lot for that! I always thought the "+ button was a sort of '+ like'. Obviously not. Thanks again! :)