catapults damage

• All buildings have the same durability at the same level (so a level 10 residence is the same as a level 10 cranny).

I'm not seeing the information on the TK wiki, but the old wiki has the basics here.

But upgrades on your cats also affect the number you need to send.
    The full table should look like this (assuming NO defense):

That's Catapult levels going across, building levels going down, and number of cats needed in the middle.

And as I mentioned at the top, this is only true when there is no defense. In other words, ^that many cats is the minimum you need in an ideal situation. In the real game, you'll probably want to send a few extra, as it is always better to knock the building completely down in 1 pass.

• population difference can make a difference, so yeah, you definitely want to send extras, especially if you have lots of waves, and their village is getting smaller as you go :)

• Those charts from earlier versions supposedly gave the number of unimproved catapults which had to get through to do the listed damage. However, there were variables not accounted for, such as population differences and stonemason level in caps. In this version, we also have up to a 30% defense bonus from water ditch in cities. I assume that on the case of cities with fully upgraded water ditch, a 30% increase will be required.

As a rule of thumb, we have used 120-150 catapults double targeting to take out two level 20 buildings or fields in the past against non cap villages, and that should suffice here against non-cap, non-cities. The thinking was that it is always better to send too many than too few, although 120 was almost always sufficient.

It is also important to point out that cats apparently no longer have to survive an attack to do damage, although if they are killed they do less damage.

• I assume that on the case of cities with fully upgraded water ditch, a 30% increase will be required.

The water ditch does not improve the durability of buildings. It just gives a % def-bonus to defending troops like the wall/palisade/city wall.

• It is also important to point out that cats apparently no longer have to survive an attack to do damage, although if they are killed they do less damage.

I believe this was always the case (see WWKs).

The water ditch does not improve the durability of buildings. It just gives a % def-bonus to defending troops like the wall/palisade/city wall.

This would make a difference in the case of all attacking troops dying. 30% more defense power means less damage from catas that run into defense. Though no defensive troops would basically not be affected by ditch. Well, not besides the villages natural defense anyway.

• ...this is only true when there is no defense. In other words, ^that many cats is the minimum you need in an ideal situation.

Guys, I was just giving the basics. I felt a detailed accounting of the entirety of combat was outside the scope of the question. Of course defense, morale bonus, stone mason and the actual size of the armies involved (i.e., WW type battles) can all effect what is happening.

For a full description of everything you'd ever want to know about Travian warfare, read this. If you don't have an account for the .us forum, I'd guess it is available in other places as well, or you can sign up for one. Well worth a read if you're serious about the game (and you have a decent math education). But for a quick rule of thumb, the chart in my first answer (along with the caveat "minimum") should be enough.

Also, you should always sim the battles when it matters.