One simple change that would make Travian two times more fun!

• So we all know farming in Travian. It consists of sending your troops to multiple defenseless (or inactive) villages around your village in the regular intervals..
    More people do this, harder it gets and more consistent you will have to be to gain some resources.
    But in the end it's the same princible consisting of a chore - like action that's repeated over and over again.

So then I was thinking:
    What if there was a way to send an attack to a reinforced village without killing your own reinforcements? (or your allies reinforcements)

Imagine what would this mean: people would actually reinforce their farms as a way to protect the resources they can get from others.
    Then there would be battles for the farms, because no one wants to be stuck with only one or two farms.

I think it would be exciting and quite a lot fitting to the new "kingdom" oriented type of Travian that is going on right now.
    (Also it would be much more practical that reinforcing a farm, then taking away the reinforcements before an attack and then reinforcing it again. Basically that's why no one bothers doing it in the first place.)

..And the main question is - why would your own troops kill the other group of your own troops in the first place? Can't they recognize themselves, that they're part of the same village? Or do they hate each other that much? I wonder..
    (I actually managed to kill part of my troops by accidentally sending an attack to my oasis instead of sending a reinforcement.)

So what do you think?

• Stop being so arrogant, calling me unorganized when that's not the point at all.
    The goal is to change that mindless farming into something more challenging, that would require some battles and strategies, which is what this game should be about in the first place.

Edit:
    I don't like people like you that say cold hearted "no" and try to shut you down immediately in the first reply they make.

Also saying "it's good as it is" isn't what this forum section is about. It's about suggestions...
    (If online games keep using the same old formula for years and never bring in something new, they will die out sooner that you know it)

• It's not that the mindless farming should be changed into something more challenging, it's that the things that are already challenging (fighting people who aren't farms) should return to being a thing that actually happens. So sorry, but I agree with Wonka. The game should definitely keep changing but I don't think this is the best idea to get that done.

• Stop being so arrogant, calling me unorganized when that's not the point at all.

It is the point.
    You want to spike your farms so no one else can farm them. Fine.
    But don't expect the game to make it easier to kill other people's troops.
    You want to farm someone and spike the same place? Get organized - pull your troops out before your raiders land, and have a new set of defenders land right after.
    Organization.

The goal is to change that mindless farming into something more challenging, that would require some battles and strategies, which is what this game should be about in the first place.

And it's something your idea wouldn't change.
    All the farms would be spiked with as many troops as don't starve, with each guy thinking "hey, I'm clever - I can farm this even though I just put 500 phalanx there". But the reality is it would only take a few days (at most) until someone else added their 500 phalanx. So then you send your 50 TT to make their hourly pickup and they all die. You try someplace else...and oh, too bad, those are dead too.

saying "it's good as it is" isn't what this forum section is about. It's about suggestions...

It's about good suggestions... and discussion on ways to make suggestions better... or get rid of the ones which won't work.

Others are free to chime in and say why they agree with you.
    But so far... it looks like a no on this one.

Don't take it personally, I've had ideas get shot down too.

• No.
    Get more organized.

Otherwise you can expect that all the decent farms will end up with zillions of troops in them, making them useless to everyone.

Not zillions though Wonka, because they would starve. It really is the max that the wheat fields are....

its an interesting idea. People would want to destroy the crop fields on farms..... but this reduces the wheat you get from your farms. Sounds like an interesting problem to have heh. It might increase the need for gold. you would almost have to NPC all the time. Thats a huge down side IMO.

But something to think about.

The HUGE problem with this idea in my mind is that it would make farming a lot harder and only people with huge amounts of time would be able to do it.

I think it might have the opposite effect of the intended result. Less people might farm.. a lot less. Need to be very careful about that.

• It is an interesting idea, but one which would not work out. Spiking farms has been a much hated practice for years, one which has caused many problems among team mates even. What the OP suggests would involve players killing a good many troops belonging to team mates as well as others. If we were voting I would vote no.

This is not a judgement of the OP, but a personal judgement of the idea. Whether good or bad, ideas should be expressed and discussed.

• Well, I still think killing your OWN troops is stupid. That shouldn't even be a thing in this game.

Also, if this ever were to work, enemies couldn't be allowed to reinforce already reinforced village (just like you can't reinforce occupied oases by nature).
    Because otherwise stupid scenarios like "wonka" mentioned would happen where you would go to pick up resources from conquered village only to find out enemy troops are there to kill you on your arrival. That wouldn't make much sense either.

-
    In short I could say that what I'm looking for in this game is using army for BATTLES (and get rewarded for winning one) and not for CHORES..

• Well, I still think killing your OWN troops is stupid. That shouldn't even be a thing in this game.

Also, if this ever were to work, enemies couldn't be allowed to reinforce already reinforced village (just like you can't reinforce occupied oases by nature).
    Because otherwise stupid scenarios like "wonka" mentioned would happen where you would go to pick up resources from conquered village only to find out enemy troops are there to kill you on your arrival. That wouldn't make much sense either.

-
    In short I could say that what I'm looking for in this game is using army for BATTLES (and get rewarded for winning one) and not for CHORES..

One of the problems with that would be the "battles" your army has over farms would quite often be against your own team mates. What you are suggesting is a way to legitimize the spiking of inactive farms, while making the troops you spike with exempt from fighting against your own troops. You did not take what WM said very well, but it was a valid observation. I would object to anything which further encourages spiking farms. I have seen spiking cause too many problems in the past,and in my opinion, there is never an excuse for it. Add to this that the farms in question are inactives, and it removes any real justification for defending them.

Building up farm lists and constantly sending them on a regular basis is the only real way to make farming profitable. Battles take place between active players, and there is both reward and cost to be had from them.

• Personally, I like this idea. But I think the problem with this idea is that you're essentially adding a new village to your collection of villages unofficially. You can reinforce it, but enemies can't; you can farm it successfully, but enemies are stopped by your defences. I suppose the only difference between this and owning your own village is the fact that with your own village you get the population boost.
    Great concept, though. But terribly unfair, and allows bigger players an even bigger chance and smaller players less of a chance to succeed - a thing Travian tried to prevent.

• well, everyone seems to be in agreement that there isn't enough action. What IS this, a consensus? Say it ain't so!

Since we have Dukes now, why not Dueling fields - nothin' but blood :mad: - *fields available on demand

Did someone spawn too close?
    Did they say something that made you so sad?
    Did they steal too many treasures
    or cata your barracks?

Choose your weapons and have at it. lol

...and Wonka? I adore your directness for whatever it's worth.

• how about a pact system outside of the kingdom system that says, "hey, quit farming me, will you take this tribute instead of farming me in the future?" It would be similar to a trade route where it keeps someone from farming you if you have a tribute setup with that person. When your troops come instead, they just pick up the tribute and leave rather than attack. You could make it so that the carrying capacity is doubled for tributes vs raids so the guy doesn't have to expend as much troops as they would with raids. This would cut down on raiding active players and create more diplomacy in the game.

• Personally, I like this idea. But I think the problem with this idea is that you're essentially adding a new village to your collection of villages unofficially. You can reinforce it, but enemies can't; you can farm it successfully, but enemies are stopped by your defences. I suppose the only difference between this and owning your own village is the fact that with your own village you get the population boost.
    Great concept, though. But terribly unfair, and allows bigger players an even bigger chance and smaller players less of a chance to succeed - a thing Travian tried to prevent.

I gotta agree with you on this one. Snowballing would get really big and sooner or later there would be no one that could oppose...
    Well I don't know. Something's really wrong in the concept of this game.

What would make this game more exciting is to make winning battles rewarding. Like if I fight against someone and I manage to defeat him in a battle, I get a huge (one-time) reward for doing so (depending on the size of the battle). If I don't defeat any army I shouldn't get anything since all of the goods were raided before.

Loosing a lot of troops for nothing is actually really unsatisfying. (You will gain some experience for the hero, which is at least something but there are better ways to do so.)
    Right now in this game it's not the epic battles of giant armies that are making the best players to have a lot of resources, but it's the passive and boring farming of inactive players that have left the server long time ago..