Upgrade to city

• Will you please, please, please make some sort of confirmation dialog before upgrading to a city. I just accidentally upgraded a worthless support village when I meant to demolish the crapper, and culture points don't come by that easily.

That, or add the option to demote a city back to a village for free.

Quote from 50 Calibre;10201

To those in 300 who have thrown your armies at us in true fashion, it has been a great show. Yes joeymoey your attacks on my cap were nice and it looks as though you do not fit in the same pattern I speak about above so kudos to you. I will remember how you support the other one who is not as knowing and allowing it to continue makes you just as guilty as if you were doing it to. I know that you also know, so do something instead of just allowing it.

• you can demote a city back for free actually specially in your case because you just upgrade to city
    all you have to do is demolish any building one lvl less so pop get down 1000 let say be 999
    then the city will automatically demote to village
    it hard when you upgrade to city and keep pushing pop for 1200 or more

regards

Red John
    Customer Service Representative & Community Manager
    Travian Kingdoms AE

• That is not a solution to the problem, it's an incredibly expensive workaround. In my case the village has 1289 pop now, since who in their right minds would not upgrade cp production in a support village. In addition it produces a few troops for fakes, now that both chiefs are spent.

The upgrade button not having a confirmation dialog is a real issue unless you can downgrade again "for free", meaning the cost is reduction of resource fields above 10, and special buildings only allowed in cities.

To those in 300 who have thrown your armies at us in true fashion, it has been a great show. Yes joeymoey your attacks on my cap were nice and it looks as though you do not fit in the same pattern I speak about above so kudos to you. I will remember how you support the other one who is not as knowing and allowing it to continue makes you just as guilty as if you were doing it to. I know that you also know, so do something instead of just allowing it.

• That is not a solution to the problem, it's an incredibly expensive workaround. In my case the village has 1289 pop now, since who in their right minds would not upgrade cp production in a support village. In addition it produces a few troops for fakes, now that both chiefs are spent.

The upgrade button not having a confirmation dialog is a real issue unless you can downgrade again "for free", meaning the cost is reduction of resource fields above 10, and special buildings only allowed in cities.

oh you didn't said that in your first post
    so i replied with the info you give us
    if you accidentally upgrade to city you can easily demote it as i explain above
    but confirmation dialog will be helpful as we need it in spending gold
    but in your case you already raise pop in your city
    so when now you find it worthless you come to complaint
    it even not make sense to give a free option to demote from city to village
    if it exist will cost you some gold or resources

regards

Red John
    Travian Kingdoms AE

• I think you completely missed my point, the village was ~789 pop when the button was accidentally clicked, instantly consuming an expansion point slot. I have not been building for months after the accident, I posted here immediately afterwards.

I could of course remove the lvl 20 residence and academy, since they are of no use, but that would net less than 100 pop, not to mention the static cp output. Or maybe one of the extra warehouses or granaries, that I'm currently upgrading, one of each would remove an additional 60 pop, then I'd be almost half way. Why not cata my production to bring it down? You don't just demolish 300 pop, that's actually quite a lot of pop to remove.

Downgrading has been requested before, and it might be a solution, but if this is chosen not to be implemented due to game design issues, then I'd at least like a dialog box for confirmation. Make it fill the entire screen or something, so people know this is a serious matter, like when constructing lvl 1 of anything with the master builder instead of enqueuing it.

Another solution could be not to offer the upgrade until you challenged one of the unique buildings, like trying to construct great barracks, or upgrading resources above lvl 10, but this might interfere with what people might have planned. Someone might upgrade in a pinch only for the ditch for example.

• oh am really sorry
    i miss understand you
    pls accept my apologies again

Red John
    Travian Kingdoms AE

Downgrading has been requested before, and it might be a solution, but if this is chosen not to be implemented due to game design issues, then I'd at least like a dialog box for confirmation. Make it fill the entire screen or something, so people know this is a serious matter, like when constructing lvl 1 of anything with the master builder instead of enqueuing it.

Dear staff. Could this please be considered? It might help others that have derpy moments without delaying their plans for 6 days or more on normal speed.

• Hi joeymoey,
    our Game Design dept. will think about the option to downgrade a city voluntarily since it might be possible to exploit this under certain circumstances so I can't tell whether that will happen yet, but if not - the other options will be considered too. Thank you for your input!

Kind regards,
    Georgi

• 1) Settle on a Cropper
    2) Upgrade 1st village for 3rd slot ('cuz of the incredible CP-boost)
    3) Cap-switch after upgrading your Crop to a city
    4) Downgrade 1st village

Too broke.

The option to downgrade essentially lets you have all the benefits of having your Cap be a city without ever worrying about a Cap-switch. And the fact that when a King exploits this feature in the way stated above, he gets to activate another treasury even sooner.
    Influence would also be a topic of debate. You could for example upgrade a village with an active treasury to a city to completely blow away a neighbouring King, only to downgrade after he resigns.

I think the option to downgrade is a bad idea, but that's just me..

• I think the option to downgrade is a bad idea, but that's just me..

You do make a good example, but there should still be a way to do it.

Even if you just put a time-frame on it -- 24 or 48 hours from the time you make a city, you can downgrade it for free.
    And in doing so you forfeit all CP gained while it was a city.

Actually, you can simply make it so all extra CP gained is forfeit if you downgrade a city. And once you have upgraded, settled or chiefed any other town, any existing cities lose the option to downgrade. This way you can't just save up the CP, expand and not worry about losing the CP if you downgrade.

• Even if you just put a time-frame on it -- 24 or 48 hours from the time you make a city, you can downgrade it for free.
    And in doing so you forfeit all CP gained while it was a city.

Actually, you can simply make it so all extra CP gained is forfeit if you downgrade a city. And once you have upgraded, settled or chiefed any other town, any existing cities lose the option to downgrade. This way you can't just save up the CP, expand and not worry about losing the CP if you downgrade.

I'll admit that those are creative solutions that could work, but the influence thing still bugs me and there are probably more ways to exploit such a mechanic that maybe nobody has thought of yet.
    I'd say the "Confirm upgrading [village name] to a City"-button is the easiest solution.

• Yeah, for instance: When you're under attack and don't have CP to upgrade everything to cities: downgrade a city, upgrade the village under attack, gold-up the moat..Attacks fake/gone and still more attacks incoming? Downgrade it, upgrade another attacked village to city and upgrade the moat..It's pretty gold-intensive but it would be a definite exploit. Plenty of gold whales who'd do it.

Just make the downgrading take time (48 hours?) and indeed lose all the CP gained by the city in the time it was a city.

• I agree that allowing downgrading voluntarily is a bad idea, and also that a confirmation should be required. However, I still fail to see how upgrading to city could be done accidentally unless one happens to be in the wrong village at the time.

• I'll admit that those are creative solutions that could work, but the influence thing still bugs me and there are probably more ways to exploit such a mechanic that maybe nobody has thought of yet.
    I'd say the "Confirm upgrading [village name] to a City"-button is the easiest solution.

Yeah, ^this would be the best, and least confusing option.
    And yes, there are certainly other ways in which an upgrade with free downgrade could be exploited -- I'm sure there are ways to stop all of them if we wished, but avoiding them altogether is the best option.

Yeah, for instance: When you're under attack and don't have CP to upgrade everything to cities: downgrade a city, upgrade the village under attack, gold-up the moat..Attacks fake/gone and still more attacks incoming? Downgrade it, upgrade another attacked village to city and upgrade the moat..It's pretty gold-intensive but it would be a definite exploit. Plenty of gold whales who'd do it.

Just make the downgrading take time (48 hours?) and indeed lose all the CP gained by the city in the time it was a city.

Lots of ways to fix this -- make it so building a GB, GS or moat (all of which require a city) confirm permanent city status.

I still fail to see how upgrading to city could be done accidentally unless one happens to be in the wrong village at the time.

Playing while drunk (which happens more than you'd think) or reallllly tired (which happens frequently) are both ways in which you could easily not realize you're in the wrong town. A mis-communication with a dual (or sitter? Don't remember if a sitter can upgrade or not). A recent renaming of your towns could cause confusion as to which one you meant to upgrade. Or just a newbie thinking, "what's a city do?" and realizing he really didn't want to do that.

There are probably a few other ways as well, but they all amount to the same thing -- being a bit careless.
    Same thing as sending merchants (on 3x, of course, always on 3x) to the wrong town - usually 12+ hours away or sending reins to a town you meant to attack, or attacking a town you meant to rein, or training 1k lego when you meant to queue up 1k imps, or any of the zillions of other easy to make mistakes in Travian.

• I agree that allowing downgrading voluntarily is a bad idea, and also that a confirmation should be required. However, I still fail to see how upgrading to city could be done accidentally unless one happens to be in the wrong village at the time.

The OP posted that he was trying to demolish a building and hit the wrong button. That's actually an easy mistake to make because the box that lists the buildings you can tear down appears right next to the city upgrade button. Considering the number of times I have thrown the wrong size party or upgraded a TH when I meant to throw a party (I'm happy that mistake isn't easy to make in Kingdoms), a single miss-click shouldn't allow such a serious result.