Server without gold, but a starting fee.

• Not the same Thor. It's a popular name. :)

But your point remains valid and I have a further one. There's also a skill in spending your gold correctly. One of the things about the TEST server is not that there's no gold, but there's equal gold. Some will use their gold more effectively than others...

• The more gold you spend the more noob you are,
    I use to say the less gold you spend and could accomplice the same results only shows that you have some sort of skills.

Ofc you need to buy al those standards like gold club and such but after that you could easy live on 20 - 40 gold each week and still be better then those 300 gold per week guys.
    If you use gold to NPC resources then what do you need a market for, use your market the right way and you will not have any problem at all.
    I use NPC but thats just cause I am so lazy.

-=Veteran in the Travian community=- If you need any help feel free to ask!

• People suggesting this are new to the game. They didn't know what pay-to-win ("P2W") really means. There was a time (many years ago) where you could buy +10% atk/def power to your account, just like the resources bonus. That's something close to "P2W". 25%+ resources, travian plus, finish now, npc merch, card game items... none of these really give an advantage like the late +10% atk/def. They're mostly make the player's life easier, and it certainly won't define who'll win a server.

secondly: most kings buy gold (and use it) so it kinda balances out the game, making it fair. also, online time has much more importance than gold using to determine the sucess of kingdoms and alliances. even the king's leadership capabilities are above the +25% resource production, since farming runs yield much more res than production.

Last but not least, why would anyone buy gold without receiving any advantage at all? No one would buy gold and therefore, no one would support the game. It would be bad for business AND for us. Many games go defunct for lack of support, and everyone loses that way.

that said, i fully agree that a non-gold server would be a nice addition. The starting fee would also make multi accounting less desirable than it is. TG could give it a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

25% + res sounds like a neat advantage, but it isn't until mid game at least. Most res in early comes from farming, which won't benefit from the bonus. Being active AND offensive compensates much more than it. And even in mid/late game, farming is a strong source of income.

• I have an idea that may make it more attractive to Travian. The rules would be thus:

1. Every player has to have X Gold in their lobby to join the server
    2. Joining the server will deduct Y Gold, but give you the starter and plus packages
    3. You will not be able to carry any gold forward
    4. You cannot spend more than Z gold per week

This would guarantee Travian an income of at least X times the number of players and yet limit the spend for each player.

Whether this would attract many players I do not know.

• Surely Travian could at least do a trial run with something like this. Make it a tournament server, where you have to pay a subscription fee to get into the game. Everyone who pays to play gets X amount of gold per month and can choose how to spend it (like a test server, kinda). But once the gold is spent, you can't buy more. This introduces some tradeoffs to make the game interesting. Make Tournament servers to be something where you have to pay to get in and stay in, but once you're in, everyone is on relatively equal footing.

That might make the tournament rounds actually mean something. And attract more players.

• Travian is gaining more shadow in the background, because Real (Fair) Competition doesn't excist anymore.

How do you get to the top in travian?

1. Playtime
    2. Tactics
    3a. Gold
    3b. Farming

I feel that Gold should not be on that list. Get a server where you CANNOT buy gold, but need to pay a monthly subscription.

Any player can join for FREE, but they can't buy gold or ANY gold features (this is so people can still have a look and servers wont be empty)
    Players that want to play with gold pay €15 / month and they get 250 gold EVERY week.

• "3a. Gold
    3b. Farming"

Gold does not make you a better player than anyone who actually is any good at farming. Not even close. I feel sorry for anyone that thinks a gold user could keep up with a real farmer.

• Exactly. Gold is not a substitute for anything else; it's an addition. And 'duals' (which can be 4 or 5 players in reality), who already have a big time advantage, also get a gold advantage.

• No thanks,
    If they would make a starting fee or a weekly subscription i would stop playing Travian.
    I've played in many game worlds and took places among top ten attackers and raiders without ever buying gold.

• Nobody said anything about farmers being unable to use gold

Im saying him putting gold above farming is ridiculous, because anyone who farms well could easily outclass some guy who just uses gold and doesn't farm well.

• No thanks,
    If they would make a starting fee or a weekly subscription i would stop playing Travian.
    I've played in many game worlds and took places among top ten attackers and raiders without ever buying gold.

This is for a different type of server, like speed, not replacing the current servers.

• Nobody said anything about farmers being unable to use gold

Im saying him putting gold above farming is ridiculous, because anyone who farms well could easily outclass some guy who just uses gold and doesn't farm well.

But top farmers also have to spend time, which was already at number 1. Well unless they use bots.

It's also a tactic, although in most farmer's cases not a hard one as they just send lots of attacks on inactives.

It also requires gold, because no way can you farm without the extended farm list.

So really I don't know why Farming was shown as a separate thing on the list at all...

• But top farmers also have to spend time, which was already at number 1. Well unless they use bots.
    It's also a tactic, although in most farmer's cases not a hard one as they just send lots of attacks on inactives.

It also requires gold, because no way can you farm without the extended farm list.

So really I don't know why Farming was shown as a separate thing on the list at all...

Even on a test server you can get the farmlist, do you know how little gold it costs to get a farm list?
    You can just sell a few items you find in the beginning of a server and get enough gold for that.
    When they say using gold they're talking about players who use massive amounts, players that can drop 100k of silver on 1 equipment and not even care.
    So again no, you dont need real money to be a good farmer.

• @Aeneas...Wait, wait, there are still good bots? Lol, I thought Kingdoms was immunne to bots. If the new programming wasn't about getting rid of bots then why are we playing this watered down version of Travian?

• @Aeneas, i just finished a speed server and had no problem playing without buying gold (won attack and raid meddles almost every week)... it's true that gold helps in getting to the top faster but nun gold users can too, if they used the right strategy.