Discussion thread: patch 0.49 treasures on the map

• One more thing I'd like to add to VVV's statement and to respond to The Mentalist's point about this being a beta/let them try stuff before criticising...

Any game development company, or rather any company, can make a good product/game given infinite time and money. The problem is that usually, a company doesn't have infinite time or money and therefore has to choose what to spend its resources on. They can't just keep trying this thing, oops didn't work, next thing, nah not quite, etc. Not forever, because money and time are limited. They need to choose very carefully what to spend time and money on or they'll never end up with a finished, working product. Games and other products get cancelled all the time and businesses can and do go bankrupt simply because they spent too much time inefficiently making a product.

One way of determining beforehand what's going to work and what isn't is by reading the posts of veterans. Another would be to have a very specific vision for what the game should be like. These things can minmize the amount of time and money that need to be spent on the product. It's really not good for TG when both those things appear to be absent and they keep throwing money at every random idea that some person in the company had without taking into account what it might do to the game..

• Well since they throw their money and they more money every month they increase the cost of gold features every now and then :D
    But yeah the forum has given a lot of feedback and we have seen only minor or no adjustment at all to problems we have been pointing out.

• I think this thing to see treasures on map is total bs ... not only because scouts are downgraded in use a little, but because now when you're sucessfuly attacked as king everyone sees you lost treasures, and can follow up the attacks, hope you remove this stupid feature for lazy people who don't build spies asap !

• Now that I see it on the map like this: Showing all treasures on the map is possibly an incentive to start fighting for newer players. Basically, new players go "OOOOH SHIINNYYY" and then crash their defense in an attack. Next time, possibly, they might scout or think about how to attack. Maybe. It might lead to further attacks from both sides.

However for experienced players especially in premade alliances it's a deterioration in gameplay quality. So how about we stop showing treasures on the map - it's set in stone anyways guys, TG doesn't care about your opinion even if they keep asking for one- after 100 treasures? Just show it as 100+? If it's really meant as another improvement for beginning players?

• You know that the ability to close group conversation threads is part of the new update, right? ;)

I think I did mention it in my post, but probably got lost in some of what I hope was constructive criticism (though I've been guilty of outright cynicism and hyperbole in the past). Yes, we did notice, and thank you. There have been a bunch of really good updates to fix long standing bugbears, and we do appreciate those.

I think this thing to see treasures on map is total bs ... not only because scouts are downgraded in use a little, but because now when you're sucessfuly attacked as king everyone sees you lost treasures, and can follow up the attacks, hope you remove this stupid feature for lazy people who don't build spies asap !

Hmm, I seem to recollect that I generally disagree with quite a few of your opinions PoLo, but this one, 100% with you... Hadn't even thought of that one, but that is a very, very good point.

• It's clearly a dumbing down to show the treasures on the map. Real strategy game players, i.e. one would have thought those that play Travian, rather than the no-skill clone games, won't like it. And constant dumbing down will lose those players.

There's a pile of the clone, semi-strategy games out there, that spend a lot on marketing. TG shouldn't try to compete with those games. What it could do with is being better known - do a search and you will struggle to find any gaming website talking about it; search for best online strategy games and you won't find the name Travian. Sorting out those areas is the way to increase the player base; I'm quite sure there are potential players out there who simply don't know that Travian exists.

• You know that the ability to close group conversation threads is part of the new update, right? ;)

See that is something that was asked for by your customers.
    Don't think I can recall any thread where anyone asked or suggested putting treasure counts on the map. I know I may sound a little sarcastic but seems like the developers want to take this game the way of the fb games.

I took this SS when I Googled Travian.......

http://prntscr.com/c1lhtt

No where in ancient tactics was there a map which told anyone anything except how to get somewhere.
    Spies and scout type troops were used to seek out and identify places of interest or to keep an eye on neighbors.
    So you need to go thru your Google selections and update them because right now they are not current.

Let's not stop at just the treasures though, let's just put all village information on the map so that way we can click less buttons to find out what we need. This will help start fights too since you can see when troop are there and are not.
    Maybe everyone could have 1 shared password so we all can just log into each others account and gather any information we want.

So all you are doing is taking away another action that involved asking members to scout out targets and be involved and work as a team.
    So all of you who happen to like building scout armies, you are now retired cause there is nothing left for you to do. :(

• Well 50 Calibre , you post is somewhat sarcastic, but I agree totally with the sentiment, scouts should be used for this information, it should not just show up on the map, it makes a mockery of stopping people see battle reports, the two directions are in conflict with each other. Either information should be freely available to all, or as the vast majority of posters have said, something that has to be worked for.

• It was meant to be sarcastic.

I just hate to see the game keep eroding into something else other then a "strategic war game"

I began playing Travian when is was a true strategic game and Legends is far from being that any longer.

I was hoping Kingdoms would bring that aspect back and at first it seemed like it would but now it is becoming just as gimmicky and hand outy as Legends.
    So I guess from my sarcasm there is a bit of frustration as well.

• Well 50 Calibre , you post is somewhat sarcastic, but I agree totally with the sentiment, scouts should be used for this information, it should not just show up on the map, it makes a mockery of stopping people see battle reports, the two directions are in conflict with each other. Either information should be freely available to all, or as the vast majority of posters have said, something that has to be worked for.

No, seeing the treasures doesn't require being part of an alliance, it doesn't even require clicking on the map.

Seeing your alliance scout and battle reports OTOH made sense; it made sharing information easier without having to spam reports or give away too much information (like SS's do).

Personally I see both decisions as retrograde steps.

• Showing treasure numbers just increases bullying, in the earliest stage anyway. A king loses a few treasures, then every alliance around sees it and is attacking that same king, whose governors are still in BP and can't help. Because kingdoms are so crammed, attacks come from just a few minutes away. Learning your mistake after the first attack and trying in vain to build up defense troops and a wall with constant incoming attacks is very hard for anyone other than an experienced player with lots of gold. The people who play this game server after server with high activity levels could be trusted to give input before adding new features.

• Well after seeing what has happened on the comx3 server. I agree with KUU that seeing a king only has 20% of the treasures of the kings around him makes him an obvious target. If I see a king has 0 treasures I scout him right away and most of the time it's a good farm.

Maybe only show the top 10 kings treasures or only show the treasuries that are overflowing? Not sure about those, but someone think of something ;)

• First question I have is why is this being rolled out on a normal server? Isn't this what test servers are for? Seems to me rather then making major changes on a regular server, things should be rolled out on test servers and maybe have polls on whether or not the new features should be kept. That is if you really want to get info from your customer base - if you don't care, keep doing things as you are.

I just created an account on Comx3 just to see what was going on and saw this. Seems like a stupid thing to add. Lots of comments say that its obvious where a king stores their treasures even without this, but that isn't always the case. At some point, everything will be maxed out, but prior to that, it doesn't always mean that the all the older villages will have the most - a smart king could have more treasures in less obvious villages.

I'd much rather see more logical realistic changes - such as my army goes right by an enemy city, I can then get info on that wall or something like that (assuming some of my troops return to provide that info). That would make a lot more sense then being able to somehow see how many treasures a city has without having to do anything.