Posts by Curtain

Regarding cities I recommend this kind of a build:
    start -> settle 2nd village -> settle 3rd village -> upgrade your capital (which can be your starter or your 2nd village if you choose a cropper for example) to a city -> settle more villages until the game ends

Ideally you don't need more cities than your capital as 2 normal villages are superior than 1 city that being said you might want more cities than just that if the conditions are right.

You should always city:
    Capital
    Croppers (9c or 15c) tiles
    Villages you use to build offense
    Treasury villages

Additionally you can city:
    Villages you think might be chiefed (chiefing a city takes 2 slots and cities have 200 loyalty making them lot harder to chief)
    Villages that you need extra defense in (waterditch)

You also might want to city:
    If your kingdom has no more free tiles to build more villages in
    If you have a particularly good tile (3/4/5/6 with 75% iron for romans for example) and there are no similar tiles while you still need more of that one resource (only necessary for people who don't use gold, gold users can just use the NPC)

In a normal game I usually end up with 2-3 cities (my capital and one or two additional cities I use to block enemy chiefs or for some other reason like having another cropper village) and as many villages as I can build

Worded that poorly, what I meant to say is that: Does the lobby award match the weekly prestige?
    I'd assume it keeps track of the weekly changes already so it's probably way faster to update that than adding the bonus which is only determined when the game world actually ends or there is some other spaghetti there going on.

You can cash in the free residence upgrade quest anywhere else as well if you so desire, of course it's usually considered optimal to use it on the first village because resources become more plentiful as game goes on but in your situation you don't have to be afraid you lose the bonus or anything, it will still be available once you get your second residence rolling.

By new fields I assume more space on the map
    The map expands dynamically till "infinity" based on amount of people registering on the server.
    You should expect to see more people to register till at least the next new world opening but the rate will obviously slow down as time goes on. I'm sure there is some player count that is the trigger for the expansion but I don't know of one at least. The best thing you can do is look at the available space and if it looks like the maps getting filled then new space might open up but don't put your entire strategy on it.

To add to @Renuo#EN post above the individual power of scouts is roughly speaking:
    Defense in a village with HDT: Romans > Teutons > Gauls
    Defense in a village without HDT: Teutons > Gauls = Romans
    Offense (with HDT naturally): Romans > Teutons > Gauls

Roman and Gaul scouts have identical stats in terms of scouting (thought they do have different speed and cost of course)
    Teuton scouts are individually weaker but are significantly stronger on crop consumption basis compared to roman and gaul scouts
    Roman scouts are king when they have the HDT bonus as with that they combine the high stats of the 2 crop scout with the crop consumption of a 1 crop scout beating out teutons easily on both defense and offense but of course only when HDT is available

The three images above show the how romans and gauls have individually the same stats (which are higher than those of teuton scouts)

These images demonstrates the superiority of teuton scouts on per crop basis (discounting HDT of course)

They got a bit of a nerf in the T4 -> T5 but I think the biggest reason is the way kingdoms emphasizes teamplay and wonders over individual account power.
    Teutons are strongest when they can overpower individuals or small groups with large amount of offense power but in kingdoms each account matters lot less than they did in legends and big targets like treasuries and wonders will have massive defenses with them which makes it harder for teutons to contribute. Sure you can still hit the edge players and governors but your influence in the grand scheme of things is lot less compared to that roman WW hit when compared to the same in legends.
    In legends accounts were bigger and emphasis was more on fighting the enemy players which means teutons could roam free lot more effectively

Probably because there isn't any out of the book tactics with the other two, you kinda build them and then that's it. With trapper you can stack them and it's not really in the path of normal gameplay but still interesting enough to make for a good secret achievo.
    If I had to suggest ones for romans and teutons maybe:
    Party animal: activate the brewery total of 30 times or more in one server (since one run is 72h that would be total of 90 days spent drunk which might or might not be too much)
    That's not my horse!: have more than 1k of each other cavalry units besides romans drinking on your pool

I think the first idea is ok, maybe bit grindy while the second is definitely easy enough tho not sure if it's "cool" enough :D

Don't have an ipone but you could try if the browser version works with the mobile browser

A fine tuning for that idea could be a building called "farmer" (or something bit more generic like prospectors hut or what ever)
    How it would work is that it would allow you to terraform the fields to your liking and the limit to field of any one type would be the lvl -2 so lvl 20 would allow for the 18-0-0-0 setup while a lvl 9 would allow you to have max 7 of one type of field (like say adding one crop or making a 7-2-7-2 for example). Terraforming would be more expensive the more of any one type of field you have already in the village which would mean you can create those 3/4/5 for roman defense pretty cheaply while the 0-0-0-18 would be really expensive.

Tho I do have to say I do enjoy the varied map as well :D

As for winning this game is kind of poorly designed so those who win are forced to play the most boring and unfun game.

This would be better put as new thread not as a side point as it's pretty real talk :D
    When the optimal way to have fun and optimal way to win aren't in line that usually does cause problems

I dunno, at least I have seen more legit uses of vacation mode than clear abuse tho there have been some border line cases. I don't think the feature is bad but the rules could use some tuning. I kinda like the suggestion of disabling delete while on vacation to ensure that if you bust up a player there is always that 3 day period when you can reap the rewards.
    I think the only player who shouldn't have access to vacation mode is the wonder holder.

They will sit in that village until

1) someone covers your village and collects them as tributes
    2) someone attacks you and steals them away
    3) you activate your own treasury in which case they move there

You can use the option 2 (or 1 if you are close) to get them to your king or dukes. Simply have either them or one of the govs that is inside the borders attack you. You can even attack yourself from one of the villages in borders if you like. Just remember to dodge :D

@enjoymrban#EN

For robbers there isn't any set number. So long as you are making a profit you should be ok (make sure to count the resource you get from the stolen goods as well), swordsmen are pretty efficient at clearing hideouts so you should just build them until you are comfortable with the number of losses, adding a hero to the raiding party will also help but don't use the phalanx to attack the robbers. I was using less than 50 swords and my hero to clear out the hideouts in this guide (I trained up the swords first and then made some phalanx before exiting beginners protection) but you will of course want increasingly more as time passes.

It will be tough times with robbers untill you build your force up to 1000 swords, after that you can add a ram and use the siege mode which makes your clearing much more effective.

>Troops vs buildings
    While the units have no immediate return to them, you can use them to clear out the robbers and the faster and with fewer losses you do it then more profit you get. Additionally while a field will indeed increase your income it will also be a significant investment upfront and takes few days to pay itself back. If you aren't certain on what's best for you, try to keep things in balance, build some units every day (especially scouts) and invest the other resources into your buildings and fields. It also depends on your situation in the game, if you feel your kingdom is strong then making bit less defense and more buildings should be ok and if your kingdom doesn't look too good getting some units out should be bigger priority.

As a gaul you don't have to worry too much about your defense as most people will be highly discouraged from attacking you because of the trapper and your cranny capacity is bigger if you do get raided. Units will of course still be needed but you aren't in such immediate danger as romans and teutons. Make sure to build enough scouts so you aren't easy pickings though.

>Second village timing.
    Settlers are indeed pretty expensive but there are lot of quests to help you out. Don't worry though, with adventures (which can give resources) and killing robbers the wait for the resources most likely won't be quite 24h and once you do get your 3rd settler built you get a quest reward that is about the price of the last settler + another reward for actually settling a new village. The new village itself will help a lot as well so building the settlers is definitely worth it. You can also use the second village if you need to switch kingdoms should your current king be inactive for example.

On the topic of field payouts In this guide I recommended lvl 5 fields while you went up to lvl 7's which gives much better income but you also had to pay for the fields as well. It's not a bad strategy though you simply trade some time on the second village for better starter village. The cost of upgrading a woodcutter from lvl 5 to lvl 7 is about 8700 resources while the production increase is about 40 to 45 depending on your oasis. That means it takes 8 days for this field to pay off it's build cost (though this improves as you unlock the sawmill building and improve your oasis bonuses and the quest rewards could also be subtracted out making for about 5 day payoff time).