Login

beginner defence problem

• beginner defence problem

Hello all!
      I am a begginer using gauls.
      i do have some players attaching me and I know the'll come back...
      What can I do if I have my troops in the village and I am not online?
      I know I could send them away, but s that ok leave them there using the chicken boots, or should I try to defende the village?

Also If I want to contrast spy, how can I do?
      Should I have lots of pathfinder so they can kill the offender ones?
      thanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ico#IT ().

• First up you always need a good sitter to be online when you can't be. You can try messaging your attackers. Many will stop if you explain that you're new to the game and need to be left in peace for a while until you gain more experience. If that fails, don't try defending your village unless you have enough troops to kill all of theirs. Upgrade your wall to 20, build crannies to protect your resources. Keep building troops until you have enough to stop the raids and keep them hidden either at an oasis (if these aren't being attacked) or with chicken boots. Have your hero on fighting strength, and maybe some on defence, not on resources. Traps work well in early game, but you should release all trapped troops, so that your traps are repaired for free and so that you have more for the next attack. Spend as many resources as possible before attacks and before going offline. Once you have 1K phalanxes, start upgrading them in the smithy. Personally I'd focus on phalanxes for now, rather than scouts.
    • The steps that will cause most attacks to stop are

Diplomacy:
      Some people will stop attacking you if you simply give them a message. This is especially true for lot of the top raiders who most of the time have nothing personal against you, they just take from you because you are weak. To these guys active accounts who can form basic sentences in English are usually bad targets as these guys will get help eventually. Another important person to contact is your king and the king of the raiding enemy. In fact your own king is probably the person you should message first and foremost as (good) kings are usually experienced and know what to do + have access to kingdom defense which could be sent to your aid. If you own king can't protect you (is inactive for example) you could message the raiders king and join their kingdom (or any other nearby strong kingdom). Active people are valued and even if you got attacked few times the kings are still likely to want you so long as you are active, building up and polite.

Getting a sitter can also help a lot.

Protect your resources and units:
      While you are working on the diplomacy make sure you give the attackers as little as possible. Building a Cranny or two is fine as they help protect your resources while you are away. When you log off try to spend down your resources as well and queue up a building you can't afford but will have resources in few hours. This way the building will take the resources from your warehouse in the middle of the night for example so the levels never rise above your Cranny. Chicken boots are a must as well (do note that usage of chicken boots will often attract more farmers as well since enemies can see which boots you are using). If you have more units than what your boots can protect send the rest away to oasis or kingdom members / kingdom oasis. Making sure your troops stay alive is top priority. Gauls have access to a trapper which is nearly a silver bullet level solution in the early game as it's nearly impossible for the enemy to trade effectively against the trapper. Keep upgrading the trapper and filling it with traps as often as you can until the attacks stop.

Cause losses:
      If you are a beginner a good rule of thumb is to never defend the first attack you see from a player as you don't yet have the game knowledge to know if you can pull it off and unsuccessful defense will leave you more vulnerable than spending resources down and letting him trough once to see his troops. Once you have seen the enemy troops you can start to plan your defense. Good attackers often times have much more units than you do so defending at the start is usually impossible. That being said if you are protecting your troops and resources appropriately it will soon be obvious to the attacker that he can't waste his entire army attacking you for 150 resources each time. Rather he will eventually start to raid you will smaller and more predictable attacks. This is when you strike! Traps already will be working for your advantage but for example if you saw that last 2 attacks were just raids with 100 clubs each and you see another raid coming you can reasonably expect this one will be 100 clubs again. If you have 50 traps ready you will only need to beat 50 of his units. Simply send your hero (without chicken boots) and 50 of your own units to meet them. Your hero + wall will turn the battle to be in your favor and this will cause the enemy annoying losses which the raids aren't paying for. Important is not to get cocky, put back the chicken boots and see if he reacts into you killing his raiding units like this. Repeat as many times as needed but never commit your entire army (if he comes with his entire army you probably lose)

Build enough scouts to cause his scouts to die if he attempts to scout you as well. 10 is a good starting number but increase that to 20 when you can and 50 within a week
      Using traps, wall, scouts and tactically placed small defense forces you will quickly make attacks on you be extremely unprofitable. This usually causes attackers to stop but if it doesn't you need to move to the final step. Residence will also offer defense points for each level but don't upgrade it above lvl 10 as it's very expensive and lvl 10 is all you need for settlers.

Defend your village:
      Sometimes the enemy is very persistent and attempting to defend your village using guerrilla tactics like this will simply annoy him into attacking you with catapults. This is both good and bad. It's good because catapults come lot slower allowing you to summon reinforcements from your kingdom or other friends you might have (talk to people around you and you can get help from unlikely places such as 3rd party kingdoms that just want to see their enemy raider lose a lot of units). It's important that you never commit into all out defense until you (or perhaps your king) is confident enough that you can take him with the forces you have access to. When the catapults come immediately inform your kingdom members and king about it, as well as any external allies you might have and ask for reinforcements. Pull all of your troops and surprise him with the amount you have massed to beat him in convincing manner. If the defense you gain before the attack lands is too little (ask your king or use combat simulator to figure out how the fight would go) send back reinforcements, your own troops back into oasis and simply take the hit. Especially early game it's nearly impossible to catapult down an active player who keeps on rebuilding and losing one building is much better for you than losing your defense (or even some of the allies troops as well)
      Bide your time and strike when the opportunity is right while using the methods above as you wait. Crannies to deny resources, traps to cause losses, and diplomacy to gather allies.
    • Hi Curtain, thank you for your precious guide, it upgrades my knowledge...
      Actually the problem is that I had joined a Kingdom but then I realize peoplethere not chat at all,. not answer to messages, not collaborate, so I said "Im gonna leave the kingdom"
      Then they started to attach me.
      Seriously I like it, make me enjoy more the game, I will find another kingdom, till now I can manage their attach as you teach me.

Anyway, not sure if continue on this server or start a new one, I joined this server that had been started for two weeks, so wondering if it is worthy to continue on it or start the new server.com ?
    • If you had a bad start there is no shame in just hopping to the next server that start with more knowledge!
      Test things our here and then restart with better luck if you like OR you can even start a new one while continuing the old one as well, you can play on all the servers you want if you like.
      Starting when the server starts (instead of joining an old world) is also experience in itself since others won't have natural advantage over you because they been building up for a week or two as well.

Sometimes it happens that kingdom doesn't communicate, especially if there are language barriers and in those times it might indeed be better to find a different kingdom to play with.
      Though sticking it out and monitoring how things go can be smart, leaving without having a backup plan can get you attacked by the old kingdom without having any new allies ready. Especially early game kingdoms change often and the weak ones get eliminated as the strong ones grow. It can be hard to guess which kingdom ends up being the dominant force in any particular area without lot of experience
    • Curtain wrote:

Sometimes it happens that kingdom doesn't communicate, especially if there are language barriers and in those times it might indeed be better to find a different kingdom to play with.Though sticking it out and monitoring how things go can be smart, leaving without having a backup plan can get you attacked by the old kingdom without having any new allies ready. Especially early game kingdoms change often and the weak ones get eliminated as the strong ones grow. It can be hard to guess which kingdom ends up being the dominant force in any particular area without lot of experience
      Very much so. Although this boils down again to talking to people and getting to know them. That usually can give you an idea on how things go and which kingdoms are known from previous rounds (even if they go by different names).
      Gruß,
      Rashidix